Advice on selling engagement/wedding rings

Cobra Was Here

I Miss My Cobra
Established Member
I have several rings that i'm looking to sell. One is a 1 carat diamond engagement ring, it's three stones, princess cut, middle stone is 1/2 and outer two are 1/4, it cost me $1750 a year and a few months ago. I also have 2 wedding bands, one for male and one for female, which cost i believe 300 and 400. I'm not looking to make a lot of money on them, just maybe between 1k-1.5k. Does this sound reasonable? I'm not really sure where to sell them, any ideas would be appreciated.

Cobra Was Here

I Miss My Cobra
Established Member
I actually sold the cobra last summer to pay off the engagement ring and her wedding ring, among several other things and also to save on gas/insurance. Needless to say, in the next few months I will be in the market for a new cobra, preferrably a white 99.

juliet2kg

Established Member
Definitely get another cobra. Don't ever give up your car for a woman. Good luck man! :beer:

+1
I met some guy at a dyno day that sold his stang so his wife could start her photography business. The camera is collecting dust... :nonono:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
sorry to hear about that, and best wishes you to on your next cobra

and I would think that a pawn shop would give you MUCH less than what you would want from them

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
check the pawnshop first and get a price. Then eBay um. If they don't sell, pawn them off.

A lot of people seem think that used engagement/wedding rings are almost a curse in the sense that they didn't work the first time around so maybe it would be bad luck to pick one up used. Even if it is for a good price, you'll find that selling used wedding/engagement rings are a lose/lose anywhere you look.

Good luck on the sells.

slowcoupe89

holic of many variations
Established Member
Would a pawn shop give me less than what i would see from other places?

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. It sounds like you've been down that road more than once though. Don't even bother with a pawn shop. I'm in a similar boat. The local pawn shop was going to give me $500 for a 2 karat platinum wedding ring, now it's at my mothers jewlery store for sale for $2500. I would say see if a jewlery store would buy it or put it on craigs list. Just remember the store will low ball it because they'll want to turn a profit. Good luck!

JBR87

Established Member
Definitely get another cobra. Don't ever give up your car for a woman. Good luck man! :beer:

This man speaks the truth... sorry to hear about the cobra being sold... when i started dating the current GF i laid down the rules and one of them included "I will not sell my any of my cars for you"

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Good luck with getting rid of those rings. I'd try ebay, craigslist, and any other form of private party first. If that doesn't work, try a jewelry store that buys diamonds.

A friend of mine bought a $3500 engagement ring complete with a center diamond that cost $2000 by itself. After she broke off the engagement, he got the ring back and tried to sell it about a year or so after he bought it. My gf's dad was a high end jeweler and he looked at it for 2 minutes without even a loop, told me the stone size and clarity, then said it was worth about $800. Talk about markup... Oh yeah, and he bought it at Jared...

This man speaks the truth... sorry to hear about the cobra being sold... when i started dating the current GF i laid down the rules and one of them included "I will not sell my any of my cars for you"

Haha good deal. I sold my GT when I was going out with my latest gf, but not for her sake. I just moved into a new apartment and wanted some extra cash, plus I had the Jeep. After only a few months, I missed it and bought an Integra but that just wasn't fun. Broke up with the gf a few weeks ago and celebrated by trading in the teg for a Cobra. :banana:

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
I am in the same boat as you. Fortunatly I bought at Jared so thats basically money in the bank for me there. The next time I find "Ms Right" all I need to do is go trade it in on a new one and they give you the same money you paid for that ring into the next ring you pick out. Example:

Say I paid 2500 for the first ring. I bring it in and want a new one for the new "Ms Right".
I have 2500 in credit towards the next ring. So if the next one is 3000, all I have to pay is 500 bucks.

So for right now I just put the rings in a safe and they will just sit there till I meet the woman of my dreams..... again hahaha

KingCobra10Sec

Project Cobra R in Progre
Established Member
That's why I love my cobra more than women, they will both take your money but at least the cobra is there the next morning.

Users who are viewing this thread