Advice on swapping clutches and other driveline components.

five 0 ninja

Established Member
I need to replace the clutch in my 02 saleen extreme. I believe the tranny and components are pretty much the same as your terminators. Mine came with a mcleod clutch and flywheel. I was told by mcleod it was their base model clutch saleen used and that's probably why it is shot already. He recommended the twin disc. That's way more then I will probably ever need but he says the pedal feel is better then stock? I don't want to spend that much, but if it's the best option I will. What other clutches are you guys running also and how do you like them. I guess it also has a aluminum flywheel. Should I just order the inserts to get a brand new surface? I heard a lot of guys with terminators don't do anything with the flywheel when they put a new clutch in and they don't have any chatter issues?

This is what Im thinking I should replace right away also.
1-pilot bearing
2-change to a 26 spline input shaft while it's apart. What else needs to be ordered for this beside the actual shaft?
3-maybe a rear main seal. Although the car only has 7000 miles and doesn't appear to be leaking at all. I don't want to take it out, put a new one in and have it leak. I had a lot of issues with that in my 302 stang.
4-New throw out bearing if the clutch kit I order doesn't come with one. I heard a lot of stories of guys installing heavy duty throw out bearings and getting a lot of noise from them?
5-What about a new clutch fork? Heavy duty?
6-New shifter. I keep hearing great things about the mgw. I have only used pro 5.0's in my 5 speeds and liked them.
7-Clutch cable and quadrant with firewall adjuster. Who makes good with everything included?

Looking for all opinions. And if there is anything else I should tend to or replace let me know. Thanks guys.

boatcop1

Established Member
Sounds like a solid plan.

The aluminum FW's tend to chatter a bit more so some cobra guys switch to steel FW. If you go with the 26spline ensure you order a 26spline clutch kit! the FMS TOB is reccomended and pilot bearing. The Fiore microclick firewall adjuster and quadrant seems to be the reccomended. Good luck. Also imo i would always re surface a flywheel before bolting up a new clutch but thats me.

five 0 ninja

Established Member
Sounds like a solid plan.

The aluminum FW's tend to chatter a bit more so some cobra guys switch to steel FW. If you go with the 26spline ensure you order a 26spline clutch kit! the FMS TOB is reccomended and pilot bearing. The Fiore microclick firewall adjuster and quadrant seems to be the reccomended. Good luck. Also imo i would always re surface a flywheel before bolting up a new clutch but thats me.

Thanks for input. I know I don't have any chatter with the aluminum flywheel right now? I definitely don't want any once the clutch is swapped.

Users who are viewing this thread