advice? on what to get.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
I'm looking for a newer superduty f250 supercab diesel 4x4. Any advice as to what to look for and not to get. I know some about these things and I'm leaning toward the 6.4 but the new truck price is making me look at used. I was willing to pay $36k for an xlt but an extra cab with a 40/20/40 seat is hard to come by. The Lightning needs a big brother.

Steve03SVT

Semper Fi
Established Member
i have a personal preference for the tried and true 7.3L, you can find a good used early 03 with 7.3L, if you are dead set on a newer truck, look into the late model 6.0L's vice the earlier ones. When looking at used SuperDuty's, be sure and check wheel bearing, hubs, brakes etc. Ask the owner if you can remove the intake tube and inspect for dust particles in the intake tube, also, check the blades on the turbo wheel. I personally would shy away from any diesel running a K&N filter setup, they are junk for diesels. hope this helps, i know i wouldn't trade my 7.3L for any 6.0L or 6.4L. just my .02

Steve03SVT

Semper Fi
Established Member
I run the AFE Stage II setup with the ProGaurd 7, superior airflow with max filtration. There are several intakes available, it's your choice of course, but please shy away from the K&N with the diesel.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I'm looking for a newer superduty f250 supercab diesel 4x4. Any advice as to what to look for and not to get. I know some about these things and I'm leaning toward the 6.4 but the new truck price is making me look at used. I was willing to pay $36k for an xlt but an extra cab with a 40/20/40 seat is hard to come by. The Lightning needs a big brother.

I would agree with Paydog. It is hard to beat the reliability of a good'ole 7.3. Diesel Power Magazine ranked it above the Holy 5.9 Cummins in the top 10 diesel engines ever produced list. My father has an 01 7.3 Excursion that has over 200K on the clock and runs like the day he got her.

But if you are looking for something newer then the later 05-07 6.0L are pretty darn good also. I have an 05 SuperCab Shortbed 4x4 and love it, had it since April 05 and it has over 60K on it. I have had the injectors replaced along with the HPOP, but that is because mine is not stock:rolling:.

I run the AFE Stage II setup with the ProGaurd 7, superior airflow with max filtration. There are several intakes available, it's your choice of course, but please shy away from the K&N with the diesel.

Again I will agree with you. I have the AFe Stage II with the ProGuard 7 filter and the intake tube is clean as a whistle. Alot of guys that run performance mods either go with the AFE or they leave the stock intake on. The Donaldson filter (the factory one) is the best factory filter made on a diesel pickup IMO.

Either way good luck with finding the right truck for you!

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
I've got a test drive today on an 06 F250 auto,4x4, extracab. It has 27,xxx and is a Lariat. It's somewhat fancier than I want [xlt] but they want $30,990 but the salesman thinks he could drop to 29,990. If it's all he says it is and they drop the price I'll probably get it. Blaclk isn't my color but it's low miles and a fair deal, I think.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Sounds good to me. The only thing that I do not like about the Lariat trucks is that the 4x4 is that on the fly thing instead of on the floor.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Well, I couldn't resist. They wanted $31990 and they dropped it to $27990 when I got there. It's a little fancy for me but with 27,700 miles on it and the fact they serviced all of it but the trans helped it along. It's bone stock except for a spray in liner . Maybe this wiil motivate me to learn how to use our camera and computer together and post some pics.

Steve03SVT

Semper Fi
Established Member
congrats on the new truck, if you take care of the powerstroke, it will take care of you for a long time to come. you should join www.thedieselstop.com , there you will find plenty of information on your truck plus a nice classified section. my screen name over there is steve_usmc, see ya around

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Thanks, I'm still learning on this one. I tried to find the Motorcraft oil for it at Wal-Mart but no luck. The girl may end up with the rotella or delco stuff if I can't find any. I got a while before I have to change it anyway. I'm back to Wally World today and get the towbar and ball for it. I love the ride of it and the look on peoples faces at the drive through [sp]. I need a place to store all of these vehicles, 3 trucks and 4 cars is getting to be a pain on keeping up with oil changes and just generally parking them.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Rotella may be the one. Going to 2-3 Wal-Marts isn't my idea of buying oil from Motorcraft. Anyone else got any suggestions. I intend to sell the 90 5.0 and take a little of that and put a one of those AFE intakes you guys suggested, maybe something else that won't void the extended warranty.

Steve03SVT

Semper Fi
Established Member
If you plan on doing any kind of mods, I strongly recommend you get a good set of gauges to monitor boost, EGT's, and tranny temp. Dave at www.dieselmanor.com is great to deal with. An intake and 4in turbo back exhaust is always a good place to start. Welcome to another money pit! lol

95greenvert

Established Member
get rotella thats what most people run in there powerstrokes, I run the synthetic blend which is double in price but makes the truck sounds a lot better running a lighter weight oil 5w40.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
If you plan on doing any kind of mods, I strongly recommend you get a good set of gauges to monitor boost, EGT's, and tranny temp. Dave at www.dieselmanor.com is great to deal with. An intake and 4in turbo back exhaust is always a good place to start. Welcome to another money pit! lol

Very good advice! Diesel Manor does have great prices on their gauges. You might want to look into http://www.innovativediesel.com, Eric is who I deal with there and their customer service is second to none. I believe they have packaged deals for intake, exhaust, tuner, and gauges if I am not mistaken. Have fun modding it because it does get addicting and yes I can vouch for it, they become another money pit lol.

Users who are viewing this thread