Advice picking a college major??

Adam03GT

Established Member
So I am nearing the end of my 2nd year and it has really got me thinking...

My declared major is business accounting however, i am already 100% sure it isnt for me but i honestly have no clue where to go from here. I understand that only I can make the decision but does anyone have any advice?

Even though they are completely unrelated, Computer science and Mechanical engineering seem interesting to me. Anything good/bad about these?

Any advice would be appreciated :pop:

92z28

Established Member
Pick whatever YOU think feels right. Everybody here will tell you to be an engineer or doctor and make millions of dollars and drive a stock Cobra into the 10s.

I have a B.A in History just because I liked the courses and I am doing much better for myself then many of my friends that picked majors just because they thought it was going to make them "big bucks".

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
first, make a list of careers that you would actually enjoy. after you do that, create a set of realistic criteria that your career needs to meet(yearly pay starting and potential, job outlook/stability, etc.). go to a website such as...
Careers, Career Information, Job Search, Descriptions, Education and Job Search Guide
...and look up the careers in your list and mark the ones off that don't meet your criteria. understand that your gonna have compromises with about every career, so weigh your criteria to how bad you want that career.
you should get it narrowed down to 3 or 4 careers that your interested in and mostly meet your criteria, and from there you should be able to pick one to go with. it took me a little while and a LOT of research, but i finally settled on aviation maintenance tech.

PureStang

Established Member
+1

i am starting my senior year and started out as a mechanical engineer. i didnt really like the classes too much minus the physics.

you have to find some industry that is going to be around for a long time. my school offers a major called Energy Business and Finance. its what i am currently enrolled in now. i am also minoring in Economics.

find out what your goals are first though. for me, i dont care if i make millions. if i can provide for the family i will eventually have and live comfortably, that will satisfy me.

good luck.

silverstang23

Established Member
Go to your colleges career center and take an interest an aptitude class. See what they suggests and consider some of the options

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I suggest you figure out what job you would not mind doing 50 hours a week even if you didnt get paid and then pick your major around that occupation. I am on my third professional career with degrees to match. It sucks being unhappy in your career, especially after spending a lot of time and money getting there.

Coiled03

Established Member
I suggest you figure out what job you would not mind doing 50 hours a week even if you didnt get paid and then pick your major around that occupation. I am on my third professional career with degrees to match. It sucks being unhappy in your career, especially after spending a lot of time and money getting there.

What Adam said times one billion.

It's nearly impossible to overstate the importance of being happy with your career.

Planter

Banned
find what your passionate about and run with it.

whatever you really really enjoy doing on a continual basis and you never get tired of, and you can do it for hours on end without losing interest is what you should do.

good luck!

machstang23

Established Member

exactly this! except I want to add one thing.... what job you wouldn't mind doing 50 hours a week for the next 30+ years

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you are man.

I'm taking business admisistration too, but I hate it. I'm thinking about going into education/teaching. I wont be a millionaire, but I've always liked doing it.

Good luck man, just pick something you like..

brad7131

The Spocker!
Established Member
I'm starting my sophomore year as a mechanical engineering major, and I already don't really care for it. I love the cadd aspect, but all of the calculus isn't really my thing. I'm in the process of joining the Air Force as we speak, and will continue going to school while I'm in the military. I'm not sure what I'm going to major in though, 'cause I can't see myself being an engineer.

Coiled03

Established Member
I'm starting my sophomore year as a mechanical engineering major, and I already don't really care for it. I love the cadd aspect, but all of the calculus isn't really my thing. I'm in the process of joining the Air Force as we speak, and will continue going to school while I'm in the military. I'm not sure what I'm going to major in though, 'cause I can't see myself being an engineer.

Stick it out, you haven't even got to the fun stuff yet. The first two years of engineering are challenging, no doubt. After that, you get to the things that probably got you excited about it to begin with.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
It's only your undergrad, you're not limited at all in what you pick to do.

Honestly I went the engineering route, as I can work in business or engineering fields. I can work in engineering for oblivious reasons, but can also be in business as a "Sales Engineer". Also engineering helps you to become organized and setup structured plans, such things as lab experiments, tests etc. This also helps you in business as with manufacturing the business/management will need a trusted engineer to recommend which tests to do to prevent product liability etc.

But honestly you can do anything with just an undergrad degree IMO. I have a friend that works in international import/export of clothing for a large US manufacturer, and his degree is in chemistry. The only thing he uses his degree for is making wine in his basement...

So my verdict would be to get the engineering degree if you really want it, and it won't make you stay in school more than 1 extra semester. Otherwise just finish what you started. Or you can always get a minor :)

GL :cheers:

usmcrebel

Established Member
Pick a field you are interested, now try to think ahead 5 years and think about what is the job outlook? could it support a family? (if you want that), opporiunities for growth?

no go out 10 years and ask does it still seem interesting? would i still enjoy it? is there still job growth or am i stuck where is am? those are the questions i should have asked myself and now i have near a associates in useless credits.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
I would pick a major that you can make some money in when you get out of college. I can't tell you how many of my friends got a communications major and can't figure out why they can't get a job out of college. I would go with finance, management, accounting. You will get a decent job out of college if you go with one of those.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Stick it out, you haven't even got to the fun stuff yet. The first two years of engineering are challenging, no doubt. After that, you get to the things that probably got you excited about it to begin with.

Yep I am going into my second year but skipped almost all freshman classes, junior level courses are cool, hell we have a class on SUPERCHARGERS and TURBOCHARGERS. Mechanical Engineering FTW

also if you got through multi var calc, diff equations is easy so is calc 4

Users who are viewing this thread