advice? wide rims & big meats

the12fast4u

Established Member
so i have 18"s i want the max lets sax 315's on a what ?10 1/2 or 11 or 11 1/2,how wide should i take rims?

blkstangman88

Established Member
335/30R18 on a 10.5in rim FTW....no spacer, no quad shock flip, no rubbing, perfect fit

1031091236.jpg

1031091253.jpg

Jack Hidley

Established Member
If you want the tires to not have any bulge and look correct for the wheel, then the answer is simple. Take the tire width and divide by 25.4. That will give you the correct rim width, in inches, the tire should be on.

Take a look at any tire spec sheet. They list a measuring rim width. This is the rim size that the tire was mounted on for all of the tire measurements. For a 275 tire, this is typically 9.5"-10". For a 335 this is typically 12". The wider the tire is, for a given wheel width, the worse the handling will be. The bulge that occurs in the sidewall means that the sidewall has lost a lot of its stiffness. This makes the steering response much worse, makes it harder to place the car in corners, etc. I wouldn't obsess about the tire width. Put the widest wheel you can on the car and then run a tire that is about 1-1.1 times the rims width on the car.

The other thing to consider is this. Say you can fit a 335 tire on a 12" rim on the car. That width tire/wheel is going to leave very little clearance to the inner and outer fenders. Since the tire is so wide, it can generate a lot of cornering grip. More grip means more body roll and vertical suspension movement, if you actually use the available grip. So more tire motion combined with less clearance equals rubbing. If you are going to drive 5/10 in the corners and want that tire width for cosmetics, that is fine. Just be aware of the potential issues.

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Evan,

The photos of your tire (335mm (13.2")) on a 10.5" wide wheel is a perfect example of a bulged sidewall. From a mechanical standpoint, the tire is bulged about 1.25" per side. The outside edge of the tread needs to be in the same lateral location as the inside edge of the rim. This is where the rim width is measured. The outside of the rim is usually 1/2" farther outboard on each side.

Here is a photo of a 275mm (10.8") tire on a 10.5" rim.

http://home.comcast.net/~jhidley/IMG_4830S.jpg

Notice that the very corner of the shoulder (tread stops, sidewall starts) is almost just at the same lateral point as the inside of the rim, where the bead is? This gives the tire sidewall a lot of support and the best handling.

blkstangman88

Established Member
I realize what ur talking about, n I'm not argueing at all. I've calculated the numbers, but when u physicaly get down and measure the tire and rim, the tire isn't truly 13.2in wide

the12fast4u

Established Member
If you want the tires to not have any bulge and look correct for the wheel, then the answer is simple. Take the tire width and divide by 25.4. That will give you the correct rim width, in inches, the tire should be on.

Take a look at any tire spec sheet. They list a measuring rim width. This is the rim size that the tire was mounted on for all of the tire measurements. For a 275 tire, this is typically 9.5"-10". For a 335 this is typically 12". The wider the tire is, for a given wheel width, the worse the handling will be. The bulge that occurs in the sidewall means that the sidewall has lost a lot of its stiffness. This makes the steering response much worse, makes it harder to place the car in corners, etc. I wouldn't obsess about the tire width. Put the widest wheel you can on the car and then run a tire that is about 1-1.1 times the rims width on the car.

The other thing to consider is this. Say you can fit a 335 tire on a 12" rim on the car. That width tire/wheel is going to leave very little clearance to the inner and outer fenders. Since the tire is so wide, it can generate a lot of cornering grip. More grip means more body roll and vertical suspension movement, if you actually use the available grip. So more tire motion combined with less clearance equals rubbing. If you are going to drive 5/10 in the corners and want that tire width for cosmetics, that is fine. Just be aware of the potential issues.

well jack first off i would like to thank you and they guys at maximum for making some of the best suspension parts that i have ever bought!that all i have on my car,have the hellion turbo k member with offset a arms,and heavy duty torque arm,and all of the supporting hardware.love it ! it totally took my car to the next level.so with that being said what would you recommend ?to compliment the hardware i have?i want the good wide tire look ,but would rather have more function than looks. i have 18's what tire size and rim width would you recommend that would allow me to get the most out of my suspension without killing any handling characteristics?

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Evan,

I agree that the tire is not 13.2" wide when mounted on a 10.5" wheel. I don't consider this an argument at all, in any way, just a discussion:) You tire appears to be a BFG G-force KDW. Since it is 335 wide and it looks like an 18" wheel, I'm assuming the tire is a 335/30-18. Take a look at the spec sheet for the tire here:

g-Force T/A KDW | BFGoodrich Tires

You will need to click on the button at the top right of the table that says "More". Under the 335/35-18 it has 13.5" under the Section Width (On Measuring Rim Width) column. Next to this it has a recommended rim width of 11.5"-12.5". So the measuring rim was probably 12" wide. This is 1.5" wider than the rim you have the tire on. If you look at the very bottom of the table, the 8th line of text says ">> Section width varies approximately 0.2" (5mm) for every 0.5" change in rim width." So if you have the tire on a rim that is 1.5" narrower than the measuring rim, the tire should be about 0.6" narrower than the advertised width of 13.5".

Here are a couple websites with some drawings and a few other comments on rim width effects and tradeoffs.

Dunlop Tires | Care & Maintenance | Rim width and aspect ratio
Tires Rims selection

Chris,

Exactly what do you use the car for? Just street driving? Do you take it to road race tracks and drive it there and/or do you drag race it? Exactly which 18" wheels do you already have that you plan on having widdened? I need this to determine the offset of the wheel. The wheel width can only realistically be added to the inside of the wheel.

the12fast4u

Established Member
Evan,

I agree that the tire is not 13.2" wide when mounted on a 10.5" wheel. I don't consider this an argument at all, in any way, just a discussion:) You tire appears to be a BFG G-force KDW. Since it is 335 wide and it looks like an 18" wheel, I'm assuming the tire is a 335/30-18. Take a look at the spec sheet for the tire here:

g-Force T/A KDW | BFGoodrich Tires

You will need to click on the button at the top right of the table that says "More". Under the 335/35-18 it has 13.5" under the Section Width (On Measuring Rim Width) column. Next to this it has a recommended rim width of 11.5"-12.5". So the measuring rim was probably 12" wide. This is 1.5" wider than the rim you have the tire on. If you look at the very bottom of the table, the 8th line of text says ">> Section width varies approximately 0.2" (5mm) for every 0.5" change in rim width." So if you have the tire on a rim that is 1.5" narrower than the measuring rim, the tire should be about 0.6" narrower than the advertised width of 13.5".

Here are a couple websites with some drawings and a few other comments on rim width effects and tradeoffs.

Dunlop Tires | Care & Maintenance | Rim width and aspect ratio
Tires Rims selection

Chris,

Exactly what do you use the car for? Just street driving? Do you take it to road race tracks and drive it there and/or do you drag race it? Exactly which 18" wheels do you already have that you plan on having widdened? I need this to determine the offset of the wheel. The wheel width can only realistically be added to the inside of the wheel.

i love to drive it on the street ,i drag it sometimes track,and street,due to the lack of road courses around here it doesnt get to see much pure track action conditions,i have the 18x8 1/2 binno b930's

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Chris,

I need you to pull one of the wheels off of the car and look at the backside. I can't find any data for that wheels offset or back spacing online and Binno's US website appears to be gone. If you look at the inside of the wheel, just post all of the numbers and letters that are on the back of the wheel. The wheel dimensions along with the the offset and DOM are usually located there.

the12fast4u

Established Member
Chris,

I need you to pull one of the wheels off of the car and look at the backside. I can't find any data for that wheels offset or back spacing online and Binno's US website appears to be gone. If you look at the inside of the wheel, just post all of the numbers and letters that are on the back of the wheel. The wheel dimensions along with the the offset and DOM are usually located there.

sorry have been busy !finally got the wheel off and there is quite a few numbers on it,the rim measures 18x8.5
op 6895
b930 85jx18h2
rx 06
by alujet
do8
c46
kg-n
e120
made in brazil

Users who are viewing this thread