AF Deployment--Tips, advice?

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
LOL I been here every day .. just not in the chowhall much. I am tired of having "breakfast" for dinner. chowhall food is bad enough but dayum working nights out here food wise just sux ass.

I can't ever look at an omlet the same for the same reason.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Well, I just heard from the higher ups that Ill be heading out in July or September.

Any tips on getting time to go by fast? Things I should bring?

My wife will be back home, working full time so hopefully that takes her mind off of it.

Any insight will be greatly helpful.

Depends on where you are going, what your job is and how long you'll be there. Just got back. If you are there in the winter bring your cold weather gear- it gets a bit chilly. GL.

motorider228

Established Member
Depends on where you are going, what your job is and how long you'll be there. Just got back. If you are there in the winter bring your cold weather gear- it gets a bit chilly. GL.

I keep hearing about the cold, I'm deploying for my first time in January for 6 months to Afghanistan, does it really get THAT cold?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I keep hearing about the cold, I'm deploying for my first time in January for 6 months to Afghanistan, does it really get THAT cold?

Hahahahahahaha wrote up a whole damn response saying how you don't need ****ing cold weather gear then reread your op and saw afghanistan ...

yeah take your cold weather gear, afghan is colder than a witch's tit in brass lingerie. so yes .. yes it does.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

I was in Southern AFG and it got down to 12 degrees. It rained like a mother starting the last week of Dec through the end of Jan. It didn't get cold until Feb though. It was chilly from Feb through the first week of March then started warming up again. When I left towards the end of March it was already hitting mid 90's during the day. I know up North it's a lot colder so if you are going to Kabul it could get really cold. I haven't been to AFG in the summer- both of my deployments there have been winter Dep. But I've heard summers are almost as bad as Iraq. I'd say if you are going to be there from Jan-June, bring ALL your cold weather gear then mail it back around the beginning of March.

Mostlymad

Established Member
Bagram gets cold. Even snows in the winter. I did a year tour just north of Bagram in the mountains but we had an office down at Bagram. Bring your cold weather gear. Other than that Bagram is fairly chill. Not too bad and plenty to do (USO, Gym, etc) to occupy yourself.

As for Kuwait, I've never been, but have a buddy over there that's a Gov Contractor. He enjoys it and has been there for several years now.

For any deployment go with what these guys have said. Bring a personal laptop, games, cards, chips, dvds, mostly filled hard drive, e-books, reg books, study material. Hell you can even take a class or two while your deployed. Plenty ways to keep yourself occupied.

Stay in touch with your families! Emails, phone calls, bring a phone card if your family/spouse doesn't live in a local area around a base. And remember that the AF base operator's last four is almost always 1110. Find out your bases DSN extension before hand. Or you can call Ramstein AB operator at DSN: 314-480-1110 and ask to be connected to a specific base (i.e. "Can you connect me to Dover, AFB?")

Good luck to both of you. Stay alert, keep your head down and you should have no worries.

mustangjunkie

Mach 1 *****
Established Member
Thanks a lot. Im told Ill be going over during the rainy season, so Ill definately be bringing my cold weather gear.

If any other 2T1x's are going, give me a shout. Or anyone else in general. I should be at Arifjan around the middle of October.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
Navys throwing me in some ACU's and im heading to khost A-STAN doing convoy ops in october, however i leave june for FT BRAGG for training till then. Everyone told me to hold off buying shit and just wait till you get there because they said you can buy the shit from people who are going home...

Good luck in kuwait

Users who are viewing this thread