AF....making the next grade

raustin0017

Established Member
Airmen, Not for sure how this is going to be taken. If you want some advice from a current retired AF Command Chief...keep on reading. Sorry up front foe the long read.

I'm going to give some background on my career and then some advice. This will come in several post in the next few weeks or so. I will talk to SrA and below, SSgt/TSgts and then to MSgt and above.

Here is a snapshot of the first 15 years. Entered delayed enlistment with a guaranteed job as a loadmaster. Was assigned to Little Rock AFB as a C-130 LM. At 3 years attended Instructor School and pinned on SrA. At the 4 1/2 yr mark I was assigned to Elmendorf AFB. I was attending classes for my CCAF and then decided to drop school and pick up a fishing rod and rifle and put my effort into enjoying life in Alaska. Had a great time...but wasted a bunch also. Short story...I did not get promoted to SSgt until 9 years in the AF. At the 11 yr mark was assigned to Charleston AFB, SC as an initial cadre C-17A Loadmaster. Got re-motivated and started my CCAF again. One excuse led to another and I stopped going to classes. Flying around Europe and showing off the fancy new C-17 was my biggest reason. I had the time but I chose to drink tons of beer and play poker with the buds instead of doing something important. Had a great time but wasted a bunch also. About 15 years in the AF all my friends were getting promoted around me. I studied for TSgt testing and got promoted. Funny how that works. Was in the AF for 16 years, had a line number to TSgt and had never been in trouble. Sort of an average NCO...maybe slightly below. My career took a sudden turn. One day I was called into my Commander's office. I reported to him in my Service Dress along with the First Sgt. I remember how it felt as the CC read the Article 15 charges.

Cutting to the chase. It really don't matter what I did. I was guilty and found myself as a Staff Sgt with 16 1/2 years in the AF with a current Article 15. My career was over. But...one thing happened. About three months after my case, my supervisor pulled me into his office and asked me a question that changed my life. The MSgt asked me, "Now what are you going to do?" He told me it was up to me to either give up or put the Art 15 behind me and not let anything stop me from obtaining my goals. He believed in me even when I did not.

Cutting to the chase. I made TSgt next time testing and was assigned to Altus AFB, OK. I showed up to Altus as a 18 yr TSgt without a CCAF. Four years later I departed Altus back to Charleston with a line number to SMSgt and 1/2 way finished with my Masters degree. What changed? How did I make two pay grades, finish 2 CCAFs and my undergrad degree serve as Additional Duty First Sgt and as a Squadron Superintendent in four years? I kept the momentum and at Charleston I also made CMSgt first time up and finished my MS degree and was assigned to Ramstein AB Germany. Two years later I was called to return to Altus and served as the 97 AMW Command Chief.

Why tell you all this? It is not to pat myself on the back. It is to let you know no matter what your job, no matter where you are assigned, no matter if you have a good or bad supervisor...You are in control of your career. This is not a one mistake AF and never has been. Crimes are different. One crime and your done. Mistakes can be corrected and will not stop a military career.

All for now...
Load Clear!

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks for the inspiration Chief. I'm a first term Airman and still have no idea what direction I'm gonna take with my career, but it's always reassuring to hear words like yours.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
The military regardless of branch is entirely attitude based.

Show up in the right place at the right time in the right uniform and 90% of the battle is done. Add in a motivated attitude and your career will progress as far as you'd like.

Good stuff man.

SHLBYLVR

Established Member
It's amazing that you didn't give up and just retire at 20. You got your act together and finished strong. I know todays AF is different. I wonder if I loaded one of your aircraft in my time in. Port Dawg!!!

speedsun

Established Member
If you ever have a chance to talk to Chief Colon-Lopez (former 1SOW Command Chief) he has a similar story on how he lost a stripe as an Airman and had a Shirt motivate him into path of becoming a PJ and then making the ranks.

saleensc281

Established Member
That is awesome story, what is even more awesome is your leadership did not give up on you. I an active-duty Army (17 years in March) and it has always been the running joke that to make E-9, you have some type of UCMJ action.

That being said I would caution the junior enlisted today, to keep your noses clean. Ensure you think, before you act or say something you may regret later and that could have an adverse effect on your military career. With the continuing drawdown in todays military, a lot of Soldiers are going to be asked to leave. The first cut will be the military looking at Soldiers who have failed PT tests, have weight control issues, UCMJ action, and other unfavorable action. The leash is getting tighter and tighter and the probability of being retained following some type of unfavorable action is getting slimmer. Always take the hard right over the easy wrong. That is my 2 cents.

Again great story and enjoy retirement. Marc, kudos to you for doing 30 years, 20 is going to be it for me. The Army has changed to much for me and I forsee a very rough road ahead, hence me not staying past that time.

Users who are viewing this thread