AFR 165 or 185 for my combo???

93deznutsblown

Could be faster than u!!!
Established Member
Since I'm going N/A, I'm making my Santa list soon.......
See mods in sig.....minus S/C of course...... Which heads should I go with??? The 165's ot 185's..? It will still be my daily driver......

Also I think my E-cam will go away also. I would like something else that would better match my heads and current combo, but I'm ignorant about cams in general... Yeah I'm not afraid to admit it!!!!!!!.....Or should I try it with my E-cam first and then decide???? Either way teach me about the AFR's and cam choices. Thanks in advance.... :coolman:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
The 165's are a good head for a daily driver and with the 302 displacement. The 185's seem to do better on larger displacemnt combos (i.e. strokers).

I would seriously look into a custom cam setup. Either AFM's or Ed Curtis's at FTI.

psucobra

Established Member
Im running 165's on my 302 short block and I couldnt be happier with my combo. They (165's) are big enough for a blown or N20 302 -308 and naturally aspirated 331's. For anything bigger the 185's is a better head. The 185's will give you more room to grow, but you also need to keep in mind that the 185's utilize a bigger valves and depending on your cam selection could cause some PV clearance issues. You will have more cam choices with the 165's. I would HIGHLY recommend going with a custom cam for you combo, you wont be disappointed. I ordered a Custom Cam from Buddy Rawls and he delivered exactly what i wanted. A cars that pulls hard from 1.5k to 6K, great lowend torque and a good top end plus it is very streetable (daily driver). You CAN have it all if your combo is well put together. My first setup used a custom Ed Curtis cam and his cams are awsome too. I think that Buddy is a little more detailed in gathering information and making sure that you cam is exactly what you want, but thats just my opinion. Not to mention that Buddys cams are a little cheaper and the lead time is much less.

What ever you decide on besure to think about what you want now, what your future plans are and do your homework : )

psucobra

Established Member
Oh Yeah, I almost forgot.... If you you do decide on the AFR's whether it be 165's or 185's you also need to decide if you want to go with pedestal or stud mount rockers.

Really the only benefit of staying with pedestal is that you can save money by reusing your old rockers and valve covers. Plus rockers on pedestal heads seem to run a little quiter.

Stud mount heads are stronger and thus you have more versatility with cams (higher lift & stronger springs). They are also more popular, so for resale purposes they the demand is better.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I'll back up Lee and psu and say custom cam all the way. But, if you are one to constantly monkey with your combo (swapping heads/intakes, etc), or are planning to grow more, you might be better off with something off the shelf.

Look up "buddy rawls" or "ed curtis" on corral.net. Lot of people out there with their custom cams, and nobody complaining so far. Plus, they offer trade in's on their custom cams if you ever upgrade to a bigger/better combo...

Shane's93LX

Established Member
I have an Ed Curtis cam. My car could use tuned a little bit, and maybe something besides the C&L, but the driveabililty is awesome. With the 165s, Performer, and that cam, my 3,340 (me in it) pound car went 107 mph in 98° heat at WIR. Better air and track could give that 3 mph, and my car could even be tuned an extra 15-17 hp I'm sure.

Brian with the '86 silver GT has pretty much the exact same combo, and with a 125 shot those AFRs really woke up apparently, producing 569 ft/lbs at the wheels!

www.flowtechinduction.com for Ed's site.

Users who are viewing this thread