Afr 165???

rikhockey

Established Member
when using AFR165 on are cobras do u have any valve problems like u do when u use the AFR 185s? and i was also told that trick flow makes a head called track heat or something like that, that works well with are cars. any input would be great i really need help finding a good set up of head intake and cam.
thanks erick

9T3SVT

Established Member
I installed the AFR 165's on my stock bottom end and have no clearance issues. I got the pedestal mount heads so that I could just swap over all my stock valve train components. Everything fits great and they make a ton of power. Let me know if you have any more questions.

psucobra

Established Member
With the 165's you can run into piston to valve clearance issues depending on the cam your running. As a rule of thumb you should always check for clearance issues when ever installing a new cam or heads with bigger valves. Keep in mind that max lift is only one of many variables that determine piston to valve clearance.

Last edited:

9T3SVT

Established Member
I'm still running my tired old 93 Cobra cam and it hasn't given me any reason to change it yet. I will however be doing a 306 later this year and after a new cam these heads will really get their chance to shine. I'd see another 30-40 hp from a better cam but like I said, no issues yet.

rikhockey

Established Member
thanks for the info. so what cam should i run if i get the afr 165 anybody have good luck with any out there or get a custom cam made ?

9T3SVT

Established Member
rikhockey said:
thanks for the info. so what cam should i run if i get the afr 165 anybody have good luck with any out there or get a custom cam made ?
From Everyone I've talked to they say have a custom cam done by Ed Curtis. I guess he won't even give out the specs until you have paid for it in full :uh oh: Cam Site

Last edited:

mustangcobra93

Established Member
Aren't AFR heads pretty muched maxed out right out of the box? I would think Trick Flow heads would be a better choice because you can always port and polish them as you grow.

rikhockey

Established Member
ya i have heard a lot of good things about his work i might be getting a hold of him. so do u guys think AFR 165 cam and performer rmp2 intake would be a good setup. in the future i will be supercharging it and possible a stroker to 306 with everything forged? comments and ideas would help need all the help i can get
thanks erick

psucobra

Established Member
mustangcobra93 said:
Aren't AFR heads pretty muched maxed out right out of the box? I would think Trick Flow heads would be a better choice because you can always port and polish them as you grow.

There's several good and very old debates about this over at the corral. Its basically a matter of preference. To say that AFR's can't be worked though would not be completely correct. They can still be ported.

A custom cam is the way to go. I had an Ed Curtis and replaced it with a Buddy Rawls custom. For my combo I actually liked my Buddy Rawls custom better. Not to mention it was cheaper and turn around was faster than EC. I have a friend on this board(GOT HP) that ran some very impressive times in his naturally aspirated 93 Cobra, AFR 165's and custom EC cam.

Last edited:

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
9T3SVT said:
I'm still running my tired old 93 Cobra cam and it hasn't given me any reason to change it yet. I will however be doing a 306 later this year and after a new cam these heads will really get their chance to shine. I'd see another 30-40 hp from a better cam but like I said, no issues yet.

how much power did you make with the stock cam and afr's. did you change anything else, or port the intake? i'm thinking of just installing some holley heads i can get cheap with the stock cam.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
mustangcobra93 said:

Think about the 2 products. Yeah you can port the trickflows. Reason being is because they have smaller ports. You don't want to port anything that is already ported, such as in the AFR heads.

Love my 165's. Ran them with the FRPP 'B' cam for a year and then swapped to the procharger and an AFM B-31 cam (.544 lift) on my stock bottom end

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
I love my 165s. I also run a custom cam from Ed C. and drivability is awesome even w/ .555 lift. My car went 12.85 w/ stock gears and bone stock susp., that ain't to shabby if ya ask me.

rikhockey

Established Member
91lxcoupe said:
I love my 165s. I also run a custom cam from Ed C. and drivability is awesome even w/ .555 lift. My car went 12.85 w/ stock gears and bone stock susp., that ain't to shabby if ya ask me.

so that custom cam the drivablity is good huh. how lumpy is the cam and have u had any problems at all. where is ur power band with that cam.
thanks erick

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
Drivability is just fine. Its daily driven everywhere. I have had NO problems w/ it. My power really comes on at 3k to redline. It revs very quik, I've hit the limiter a number of times on accident not expecting it to rev that quik. I get my gears installed this weekend and hoping for 12.40s.

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
Yes I have. It put down 294 and 326. This was w/ stock pulleys, clutch fan and humid weather. I now have pulleys so i should be at 300/330. Thats SAE numbers also. I shift at 6200, fox's have a 6250 redline.

Users who are viewing this thread