AFR 165's with stock Cobra cam

rustinh1

2 Brothers, 2 Cobras
Established Member
Am I beating a dead horse with my thoughts on my engine choices or what?!

I got to thinking a while ago, what do you guys think of leaving my stock cobra cam and 1.7 rockers in, and getting a set of AFR 165cc heads and a trickflow street heat intake?

With the stock cam I would still get good mpg, not piss off the ECM, and those heads and intake should still make 75 horses or so shouldn't they?

I would probably add boost or get an AFM B-31 cam later, if I wasn't happy with the power I was making. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
I think thats a fine way to start. See how you like it power will be gained for sure. It is A LOT easier to swap the cam while your all the way down to a short block but you can always switch it later.

94CobraPace

Established Member
If you are going to change the cam later, might as do it while the heads are off & you are right there.
I'm considering a cam also a cam swap also when I install the AFR 185 heads. My choices are a Crane 2031 or the Steeda 19. The Crane is designed for the Cobra & the 1.7 rockers & a plus is it is a good blower cam. The Steeda 19 cam is designed for the picky 94\95 computers, has a 115 degree lobe seperation angle. Here are the specs on the cams:
The Steeda 18 cam specs are: Specifications:
Lift .480 w/1.6 Rockers
Duration 220° @ 0.050 intake
Duration 226° @ 0.050 exhaust
Lobe Separation 112°
Recommended RPM Range 2500 to 6000

Steeda 19 cam specs is the same but the lobe sepaeration angle is wider at 115° for the picky 94\95 computer. Steeda proudly offers the #19 Cam, similar to the popular #18 Cam, but with a slightly wider lobe separation angle for better vacuum at idle which is required by the more sensitive 94-95 Mustang processor.
This cam features a split pattern which favors the exhaust side, and a wide 115° lobe separation for low overlap, making it an excellent choice for supercharged engines.
Recommended RPM Range 2300 to 6000

The Crane 2031 is designed for the Cobra 1.72 rockers. Also emission legal. Specs:
.513" int\.529" exh with the 1.72 rockers
duration @ .050": 214I\220E
Lobe seperation 112
Operation range: 2,000 - 5500 rpms.

Both cams are good choices for the 94\95, the Crane is emission legal also. A custom cam is a good choice and can extract the most power, not just peak power but good overall power.
I have not decided on which one I'm going with yet, but i"m leaning toward the Crane since I have to pass dyno testing emissions, but the STeeda is a little more agressive which I like & possible a little more peak power.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
If you are worried about MPG, you got the wrong car :D

Since its been said above, it will be easier just to put it in while your rebuilding it.

Users who are viewing this thread