After 2 years, I finally hit the gym

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
I finally got pissed off at how much I've shrunk in two years from not weight-lifting. I used to be really big and strong, but due to a some medical crap, I was put on medication that made me lose weight FAST. During this time I killed my chances at maintaining my strength and muscle mass. So I quit. I've been off the meds for a year, so I'm back at the gym.

It was a challenge to find out what weights to use. I literally lift half as much as I used to. I am one weak little dude right now. It was extremely depressing. I'm starting to eat 6-8 big meals a day, which is even tougher than the working out part. It's all about eating my dry tuna sandwich as fast as I can when I'm already full, then sitting on the couch feeling sick with T minus 2 hours until the next feeding. I'm wasting my time working out unless I'm eating right, which I've learned in the past. And I forgot how much energy is drained from deadlifts.

I forgot how many douchebags lift weights. I love how the big guys with fake tans, shrink wrapped muscle shirts, and backwards baseball hats talk extremely loud about their form/how heavy the weight was/ect...

Anyways, I hope to be back to my old self in 6-12 months with the help of Kyle's Russian Bench routine and a few others I have that are currently collecting dust.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
What were you on that made you lose the weight? i need to get ahold of some of that

Haha. Just have severe anxiety attacks and the doc will give you some weight shredding meds. It basically did the job of a tapeworm.

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
keep it up bro, your body wil get used to the new routine, and you'll be back to where you were, if not better :beer:

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Im going to look into that russian bench routine, my weak point is the diet for sure, i eat like garbage, ill eat great for 2 weeks then just destroy it all. I dont have the discipline for diet, but i am faithful in the gym every day that is for sure. Keep it up and youll be back in no time.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
How does that routine work?

I'm about to start hitting the gym here soon, and am in the same boat as you. I eat and can't gain weight for nothing, skinny as hell. I plan on eating as much as possible. I realise that without the food nothing will happen. This is the routine I plan on taking on...

3 Days a Week:
Squats 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Leg Extensions 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Leg Curls 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Dumbbell Pullovers 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Barbell Overhead Shoulder Press 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Seated Rows 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Bench Press 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Barbell Bicep Curls 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Tricep Extensions 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Weighted Pullups 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Weighted Dips 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Standing Calf Raises 1 X 8 - 12 reps
Abs - 1 X 10 - 15 reps

Should take under an hour, since I hear a good routine should be done in under 50 mins tops.

I have some weight gainer stuff and plan on getting a lot of calories and protein in me, hopefully I see results. Right now I'm at about 130 and am like 5'11", my goal is 170 by the end of the year, doubt I'll be there but that's the goal.

Goodluck man

Fugazied

Established Member
You'll bounce back pretty quickly, but take it easy on yourself at first, your body needs 'some' time to remember the strains and stresses!

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Im going to look into that russian bench routine, my weak point is the diet for sure, i eat like garbage, ill eat great for 2 weeks then just destroy it all. I dont have the discipline for diet, but i am faithful in the gym every day that is for sure. Keep it up and youll be back in no time.

I can send it to you if you want. It's only a 3 day per week workout but I added an extra day, and it lasts 1 month. Both times I did it, I added around 30lbs to my bench while also increasing on other lifts too.

is that you in your avatar? freakin' huge!

LOL. It's some indian bodybuilder who's only like 3ft tall.

I'm about to start hitting the gym here soon, and am in the same boat as you. I eat and can't gain weight for nothing, skinny as hell. I plan on eating as much as possible. I realise that without the food nothing will happen. This is the routine I plan on taking on...

3 Days a Week:
Squats 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Abs - 1 X 10 - 15 reps

Should take under an hour, since I hear a good routine should be done in under 50 mins tops.

I have some weight gainer stuff and plan on getting a lot of calories and protein in me, hopefully I see results. Right now I'm at about 130 and am like 5'11", my goal is 170 by the end of the year, doubt I'll be there but that's the goal.

Goodluck man

That's a lot of reps to do in one day. I seriously never spend a minute over 40 minutes on my workouts. I had the most success with doing big lifts like deadlift, squat, powerclean, and bench. I would add a few smaller lifts for bi's, tri's, and calfs too though. I never used any machines. I used any machines. My thought was, for the best workout, all you need is a straight bar (and weights).

It's a ton of work, at least the eating part is. The weight-lifting is the easy part. Just get organized and eat a meal every 2.5 hours. If that's too tough supplement a protein shake in for a meal. Before you go to bed, drink a protein shake. If you're still low on calories, drink a teaspoon of olive oil. I think each teaspoon has around 100 calories.

You just have to make yourself stick to it like there's no other option. I've done it before, and I'm committed to doing it again. I can send you some of my routines that worked if you want. Oh yeah, get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep each night. The more sleep, the better.

are you sure you should be eating that much.

That's a lot of work for the liver, but as long as I drink enough water, I should be fine. And all my meals are pretty lean.

Last edited:

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member

3 Days a Week:
Squats 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Abs - 1 X 10 - 15 reps

Goodluck man

40lbs. in a year!!!:uh oh:
Steroids and HGH is the only way I can think of to gain a solid 40lbs!

ttk53

Established Member

3 Days a Week:
Squats 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Abs - 1 X 10 - 15 reps

Goodluck man

Im sorry if I sound like a dick but this looks like the workouts that the 80yr old men do at my gym. You will have to train much harder than this to pack on 40 lbs.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
40lbs. in a year!!!:uh oh:
Steroids and HGH is the only way I can think of to gain a solid 40lbs!

Call BS if you want, but I gained about 40lbs in a year. It wasn't rock hard shredded muscle, but it was definite mass without out any sort of gut, and still some ab definition. This was my diet. No supplements, steroids, HGH, ect... were used except Muscle Milk.

1: Muscle Milk shake
2: 8 eggs 50:50 with two slices of wheat bread
3: 8oz chicken breast with pasta
4: tuna sandwich (whole can) with wheat bread
5: whole Totino's pizza (loading the calories)
6: whatever the wife was cooking
7: tuna sandwich (whole can) with wheat bread AGAIN
8: Muscle Milk shake before bed

I would drink at least 2 glasses of skim milk with each meal equating to over a gallon a day. This was my standard diet. I varied from this a little depending on how sick I got of eating the same stuff over and over. And I would take a few olive oil shots over the course of the day to load in more calories. I had to force myself to love tuna since it was so lean and cheap. Sometimes I'd sub in eggs for the tuna or ground beef.

Keep in mind, if you are eating a 3 meals a day already and maintaining a steady weight, any more meals you add to your diet, you're going to gain weight. I added 5 more meals, and gained weight fast. I might have been in a really late growth spurt too (who knows). I my intake consisted of over 300g of protein/day and 7000+ calories/day.

I never worked out longer than 40 minutes/day. So I had to make sure my workout was very intense with a good spotter (my brother in law who comes from a family of powerlifters.) I always liked working out with someone bigger, stronger, and more intense than me. It made me work a lot harder than I normally would.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
I'm going to try to get my scanner fixed today. Once I do, I'll scan my old workout sheet of the Kyle's Russian Bench routine. I have my numbers written in there from the first time I did it, so you'll have to do your own Excel sheet of it and write in your own numbers. It's probably the best routine for bench max, and I gained weight during it too. This routine is hard to come across, but everyone that does it knows it works.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
I can send it to you if you want. It's only a 3 day per week workout but I added an extra day, and it lasts 1 month. Both times I did it, I added around 30lbs to my bench while also increasing on other lifts too.

Hell yeah, id like to see that. Thanks man :beer:

2003 Silver

Banned
I'm going to try to get my scanner fixed today. Once I do, I'll scan my old workout sheet of the Kyle's Russian Bench routine. I have my numbers written in there from the first time I did it, so you'll have to do your own Excel sheet of it and write in your own numbers. It's probably the best routine for bench max, and I gained weight during it too. This routine is hard to come across, but everyone that does it knows it works.

Does it work off of percentages?

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
40lbs. of "mass" is probably 20lbs. of muscle....at best.
If you can gain that much, then more power to you. I know I went from 178lbs. to 225lbs. in about 1.5 years and I felt like a bloated shit bag, but after I dieted down to 185-190, I looked alot better. That 40 + lbs. was about 10lbs. oq good mass.

Users who are viewing this thread