After market guages???

03blackCOBRA

Civil PE
Established Member
I've got a few questions. I'm looking to add a boost/vac, fuel pressure, and wideband A/F gauges. I'm looking at the 2 1/16" autometer lunar models and WBC A/F. Here's my questions:

1) Mechanical boost/vac guage? If so did you tap into the line under the dash, or run it in from somewhere else? Any tips and/or places to get the boost/vac into the guage?

2) Is installing the fuel gauge very hard for the average guy? Any special tools needed? Any tips?

3) Mounting the guages in a 3 pod A piller or go 2 pod A piller and 1 pod steering column? I've see pic's of both ways, but never seen or driven a car with these styles of guage mounts. Any help or advice?

Any advice or tips on these guages, mounting, install, etc would be great. Thanks guys!

blownasp

Established Member
Boost gauge: I used the lunar one in an Autometer column pod. Just tapped in from the factory boost line that is behind the dash. (which I replaced with the Complete Autometer Lunar dash - took a bit of mods to work, but looks SWEET!)

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
I have the phantom style boost gauge and water temp gauge. All I can tell you on your questions is that the boost gauge is really easy to tap into behind your glove box. Just open it, pull in the two tabs on the sides so they clear the edges on the side and the door will fall down more. Right there in plain view is the boost line with a connection already there that you replace with the proper size "T" connector and run the line for your gauge.

The pod I have is the dash pod with the 2 holes on the sides for the two gauges I have. One on the left and one on the right side. Make sure to get a couple of "Add A Circuits" to tap into the fuse box for your power on your gauges.

Krieger

Established Member
I am putting mine in as well this week and next.
All Autometer Lunar.
I bought the Autometer triple A pillar from Extreme Motorsports part #12123 and they even painted it for me so it matches the interior. This will house the:
-Vac/Boost guage #4103
-Fuel pressure #4163
-Voltmeter #4191

Those three cover the missing info pretty well to start, but I'm not comfortable with the idiot guages for the water/oil. So I will be putting 2 more in the 2 guage dash bezel. This will house the actual water temp under the factory sorta water temp and the actual oil pressure under the factory sorta oil pressure.

The next couple of guages will be mounted elsewhere due to their unique shape/style.
#6 the fjoracing.com wideband o2 scanner with high speed a/f readout. Safety counts.
#7 "autotap" type readout on a 7" lilleput LCD.

Sounds overkill but I have saved more motors from dumb small part failures with the help of guages that I consider them a small price and required for over-stock performance.

Flatliner

THE HEARTBEAT STOPS HERE.
Established Member
I have ultralites with 4 led bulb... if you do a search of "gauges" and do it only in the terminator forum, you will find all you need. Fuel gauge requires additional parts for mounting remotely.

66sprint6

Blown Inliner (soon)
Established Member
Flatliner,
You got any pics of your gauges at night? Thats exactly what I have going in my stang and would like to switch the bulbs to LEDs. What color are you using? Thanks!
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread