Aftermarket Coil Pack opinions

KITT

Established Member
Hey guys, I have a feeling I may be in the market for new coil packs, or at the very least maybe one for now. I would rather replace all of them since they have never been replaced and my 02 GT has about 110K miles now. I would have no problems buying a set of Motorcrafts as I believe Motorcraft should always been the first option for non "performance" products, however a set of Motorcrafts coils are alot of money. Anybody have good luck with more affordable aftermarket packs?

Gary101386

Established Member
a friend of mine built a 2 valve racecar that ran in the 9's at 634hp on the built 2 valve and had terrible luck with aftermarket coil packs. he actually loss power with the high performance ones so he kept running stock ones...

Scud2

Established Member
a friend of mine built a 2 valve racecar that ran in the 9's at 634hp on the built 2 valve and had terrible luck with aftermarket coil packs. he actually loss power with the high performance ones so he kept running stock ones...
Second that. I had accel. They were red and I had red accents under my hood. Terrible. Guys were pushing 400 hp with my setup and I was at 376. Sold them for a small portion of what I paid. Got motorcraft. My newest dyno without a tune was 406.2! Stay stock when it comes to coil packs my friend.

KITT

Established Member
Second that. I had accel. They were red and I had red accents under my hood. Terrible. Guys were pushing 400 hp with my setup and I was at 376. Sold them for a small portion of what I paid. Got motorcraft. My newest dyno without a tune was 406.2! Stay stock when it comes to coil packs my friend.

I can believe it when coming to these, crazy though how bad they robbed you of your HP! I guess I will stick with Motorcraft on these, hopefully I will only have to replace one if any at all.

Scud2

Established Member
I can believe it when coming to these, crazy though how bad they robbed you of your HP! I guess I will stick with Motorcraft on these, hopefully I will only have to replace one if any at all.
Rumor has it you can get them tested. But if you have the money...just replace them all. They may start going one at a time now. I turned 100k and that's when I replaced all mine.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The general consensus is always to run the stock ones. However, I ould be interested in trying the MSD ones. No particular reason why though.

Scud2

Established Member
My uncle has msd. 2002 gt with full exhaust, cai, and a tune. Recently put msd on and no problems at all. He does not race it. Just a toy car. I guess if you are just running your car for fun they are kinda all ok. But for every bit of power it seems best to go with stock.

Massie02GT

Established Member
I've had the MSD's in my supercharged 02 GT for about 2 years/3k miles now. I've had zero problems/issues with mine. I've thought about going back with Motorcrafts though just out of personal preference.

OP - I'll sell you some extremely low mileage MSD's.

Three21

Established Member
MSDs here, 40k+ miles on them with no issues. I won't hesitate to put a new set on when these start breaking down.

Sent from my LG-V496 using Tapatalk

joe2000

running msd coils since 2009 on my paxton novi 2000 mustang (2000 gt).Really like these coils,only changed boots and springs about a year ago.Would buy again.

Korican

Newb
Established Member
Are the MSD ones floppy like the OEM? I just changed the spark plugs the other day and was thinking it is interesting that the coils were rubber with a spring in them. Compared to import cars that have coils that are hard plastic with no give.

Scud2

Established Member
Are the MSD ones floppy like the OEM? I just changed the spark plugs the other day and was thinking it is interesting that the coils were rubber with a spring in them. Compared to import cars that have coils that are hard plastic with no give.
Accel are rubber as well.

GreekThunder

Established Member
I run Granatelli hot street coils on my 03 Gt with ngk iridium spark plugs. I replaced everything when i started blowing plugs and the Granatellis are amazing been running them for 10k now and no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread