Aftermarket Radiators

Ryushin

Established Member
Trying to figure out which radiator to go with and if I'll have any problems with stop and go traffic.

There are essentially three radiators to choose from, the Fluidyne, the LFP, and the Steeda. If there are more choices, let me know.

I've been reading that a lot of people are having problems with the Fluidyne leaking, so that is probably out of the running. So that leaves the LFP and Steeda. Which one of these should offer better cooling?

I also remember reading that some people are having over heating problems in stop and go traffic after installing a aftermarket radiator. How is this possible? If the electric fan is still there and pulls air across the fins, how is it over heating. :shrug: Unless the stock radiator is better than the aftermarket versions.

djtyau

Established Member
I never saw overheating in stop and go. I would say fan settings were the culprit in those cases.

I wouldn't do an aftermarket radiator unless you can get a 2 year warranty from the manufacturer, which isn't going to happen. I took out my Fluidyne and put the stocker back in after it started leaking from the top mounting brackets. The only real difference I saw was that the temps. went down quicker when I went from stop/go traffic to a steady cruise.

exdeath

Established Member
I'm trying to install my Fluidyne right now... says its a direct fit... but:

1) passenger side hits AC condenser lines which shifts the radiator toward driver side and prevents the mount points from lining up with the bottom bushings. I've loosened the screws on top of the condenser and shifted it over towards passenger side as much as possible, and even bent the AC lines a little. Still too tight a fit.

2) no room for fan between radiator and ABS

3) top bushings will not fit, the little hook and screw hole are about half an inch away from the front end mount point

4) stock intercooler res. will not fit.

I understand it's thicker and thats why there are problems, but it's advertised as a direct bolt in fit despite the thickness. I'm kinda pissed about that...

Those of you with the Fluidyne, how did you go about your install and how did you deal with these issues?

If something doesn't surface fast, I'm going to return it and get a LFP which has indents in the tanks to clear all this stuff.

Last edited:

Ryushin

Established Member
I know there were some threads here about people talking about their Fluidyne's leaking. So that's why I dismissed Fluidyne.

BLK03SVT10TH: Have you had any over heating problems in stop in go traffic? It wouldn't make sense that you would. But I read a few posts that people were having problem with aftermarket radiators and over heating.

Has anyone tried the Steeda radiator? It looks like a nice piece as well.

exdeath

Established Member
Any comments on the installation of a Fluidyne? Not quite lining up with the bottom mounts; the passenger side tank is hitting the AC condenser lines and the ABS is too close to be able to squeeze the fan in, the top mounts don't reach the screw/alignment tab holes, and the stock intercooler tank doesn't fit. My biggest problem at this point are the condenser lines.

Anybody have a writeup or can share their personal experience installing the Fluidyne and what mods to the car are required?

I'm thinking:

1) relocate ABS bracket (ill enlarge the holes into slots in the stock bracket or fabricate a new bracket before I drill into the car)

2) shift the condenser more towards the passenger side (again, either enlarging the range of adjustment in the stock brackets or fabricating new ones

3) aftermarket intercooler tank

4) hope the upper mounts fit when all of the above are done?

Will probably end up trying with removing the spacer strips on either side of the condenser to solve the upper mount problem.

Thats a lot of modification for something that is "direct fit"

Last edited:

Ryushin

Established Member
I wonder if the Steeda is a bolt on without having to do so much changing to get the LFP in. I should drop an e-mail to LFP and see if they have fixed their design.

exdeath

Established Member
I wonder if the Steeda is a bolt on without having to do so much changing to get the LFP in. I should drop an e-mail to LFP and see if they have fixed their design.

I'm sure the LFP fits better than the Fluidyne... forget about the ABS, I couldn't even get the Fluidyne to sit in the lower mounts at all due to interference from the condenser lines on the upper side of the passenger side tank... and thats AFTER bending the lines and loosening the condenser and forcing as far to the passenger side as possible... Either my radiator has the mounts welded slightly off, or the mounts on my car or off... I could lower the driver side below mount level and get the passenger side in the mount, and try to lift up the driver side into it's mount, but even doing that, either the driver side wouldn't fit, the passenger side popped out, or it was under so much tension that one of the rubber bushings would pop out (usually the left side). So much for "direct fit".

The LFP shouldn't be any more different than the Fluidyne as far as thickness and the ABS in the way, but the trapezoid cutouts in the tanks should alleviate any issues with actually getting the damn thing in the car first... one can only hope...

All of them are twice as thick as stock, so the ABS thing and stock I/C tank are probably going to be common issues... but my concern at this point is simply being able to stick it in the car and get the mounts on...

Sigh... another week of driving the 90 WHP car while everyone and their uncle picks on me at every light...

Last edited:

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member

I don't think your going to put any Thicker Radiator in without moving the ABS Brcket.

Users who are viewing this thread