aftermarket rods and pistons

CGoeschel

Established Member
Who makes the best 4340 rods (stock length) and forged pistons with the same comp. ratio as stock?

Fourcam330

Established Member
Manley, Carillo, and Oliver 4340 billet steel rods all weigh within a few grams of each other. The Carillo's and Oliver's carry more of their mass in the neck area, Manley's have more in the big end.
I nor anyone I know or speak with has ever seen a 4340 forged H fail in the neck region (hydralocking/hydraulic compression aside), so it's safe to say that you aren't going to hurt a billet rod in that region either. To the contrary, all engines over time will oval the big ends of their rods, as well as the bores of their cylinders. Putting more meat in the big end of a rod will help it keep its shape longer. For this reason I say Manleys.
As for pistons, 1) CP 2) Diamond. They both have thick ringlands and excellent finishing machining.

CGoeschel

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Manley, Carillo, and Oliver 4340 billet steel rods all weigh within a few grams of each other. The Carillo's and Oliver's carry more of their mass in the neck area, Manley's have more in the big end.
I nor anyone I know or speak with has ever seen a 4340 forged H fail in the neck region (hydralocking/hydraulic compression aside), so it's safe to say that you aren't going to hurt a billet rod in that region either. To the contrary, all engines over time will oval the big ends of their rods, as well as the bores of their cylinders. Putting more meat in the big end of a rod will help it keep its shape longer. For this reason I say Manleys.
As for pistons, 1) CP 2) Diamond. They both have thick ringlands and excellent finishing machining.

Thanks Fourcam330!!

CGoeschel

Established Member
Anyone have a good place to buy the rods and pistons that gives a good deal? Fourcam330, how is the crankshaft in the GT500? Is it strong enough to handle 700+ HP?

Fourcam330

Established Member
CGoeschel said:
Anyone have a good place to buy the rods and pistons that gives a good deal? Fourcam330, how is the crankshaft in the GT500? Is it strong enough to handle 700+ HP?

The forged crank is good to 1400HP or 8800rpm (tested thus far) with large diameter ATI dampner. If going 1400HP limit rpm to 7500rpm or less.

Fourcam330

Established Member
CGoeschel said:

Typically it's not a bad idea to let your engine builder of choice buy the parts for you. Pricing is usually better than what you can get on your own.

1bad04cobra

Established Member
CGoeschel said:
Just courious,are you looking to do all this work for 700hp?

chuckstang

Established Member
Ya, I think if you are going to rebuild this motor, I would get an AL block and the best rods and pistons out there and shoot for 1000whp

I just do not think you are going to feel a big difference on the street from 550whp and 700whp but I have never owned a car that fast so what do I know

Fourcam330

Established Member
No way in hell you're going to get more than 750rwhp to hook on the street unless you're running ET Streets or stickier tires. If your bag is roll racing from 100+, ok, but otherwise, it's really pointless.

CGoeschel

Established Member
Im looking for around 700 hp....and yes, I like the roll race and just doing freeway roll ons when no ones around. Its just the fact that its there when I put on the sticky tires and head to the track. Its not my daily driver. Ive got a slow '93 Cobra for that. I was asking about the rods and pistons just because Id rather have it bulletproof than wonder "when its going to go".

Fourcam330

Established Member
CGoeschel said:
Im looking for around 700 hp.... I was asking about the rods and pistons just because Id rather have it bulletproof than wonder "when its going to go".

I'd do the same thing to mine, if I had one.

chuckstang

Established Member
Ya, I hear ya, I was just thinking from a streetable standpoint. anything over 600whp sounds insane and I just cant imagine being able to feel the differece between that and say 700-750.
I would swap the block and go with an AL one for $4500 as well if your going to go all out.

Fourcam330

Established Member
CGoeschel said:
Safe 700-750 hp..with the KB 2.8H. Not sure on RPM?

You could get by with 4340 forged H beams with ARP 2000 7/16" rod bolts, going to 6500rpm, even longterm. If you like overkill you can go with the pro series 4340 billet I beams (which come standard with the upgraded rod bolts) for about twice the price.

chuckstang

Established Member
I didnt see any prices on them but when building a motor, I take it most of the cost is in labor, so why not go overkill and use nothing but the best? Within reason of coarse

Fourcam330

Established Member
chuckstang said:
I didnt see any prices on them but when building a motor, I take it most of the cost is in labor, so why not go overkill and use nothing but the best? Within reason of coarse

Forged Hs with rod bolt upgrade ~$580

Billet Is ~$1150-1200

Users who are viewing this thread