Aftermarket Shifter

Higgs Boson

Established Member
Can you install an aftermarket shifter and retain the factory stick and knob? I like the factory setup and would like to know which, if not all, of the shifters come with the shifter assembly only and utilize the factory handle/knob.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
You can use the factory knob on all the aftermarkets shifters. They don't come with knobs.

You can also use the factory top stick if you want, but I wouldn't. The others are superior quality.

Higgs Boson

Established Member
Ok thanks. So with that, I had a Pro 5.0 in my old Z28 and I loved it. Is there anyone who has experience with the Pro 5.0 and another brand that can tell me which is more durable and smoother. I want to really bang the gears. I want it to last and am not all that concerned about shifter noise:rollseyes . I broke the whole shifter off the trasnmission in a 72 Nova SS that I had. I don't want that to happen with this one. Thanks.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I've had both Steeda and Pro 5.0.

The Pro 5.0 is heavier construction and to me seems stronger.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I am being given the Amazon Shifter. I hear it's the same as the Steeda Tri-AX, but I never hear much about anyone using the amazon one. What are your thoughts on it's quality?

Ron Short

Established Member
In NO way is this against Rick or Amazon Racing, but I have seen a few of his handles sheer off where the knob threads end. The base and everything else appears to be solid. In your case, I'd consider getting a Steeda Tri-Ax handle for $35, or maybe one of those new-fangle MGW multi piece handles some guys are playing with. I think it's about $50, but I'm not too sure. But other than a few handles snapping off, Rick's shifter seems to be fine.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Thanks for the info. I was looking at getting the MGW handle anyway, so I can adjust it's length and position. I like th eidea of placing it where it's most comfortable for me. The shifter is coming with a 2.93 pulley, and UPR CAI as well for $300. I figure if I don't like it then I can just throw it away and not be out much cash:)

rsom1

Established Member
be careful though. i wrote about this in another thread, but my dealership said they weren't going to look at my "transmission clunk" complaint because i have a triax. they also wouldn't look at my stalling problem because i have an aftermarket throttlebody.

word to the wise, it's a trap.

on the other hand, i wouldn't own a mustang (and this is my 9th) w/o a triax.

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
Ron I wasn't aware of any broken handles. Any help to indentifiy this problem would be greatly appreciated. No customers have reported this problem. If there is one I want to fix it asap. Like I said any help will be appriciated.

Rick

P.S. this is the same shifter PHP sells and races in all his race cars and he has never broke one either.

Last edited:

trey193

Established Member
I installed the Pro 5.0 Handle today and left the stock shifter, night and day difference in the feel much much better, I dont overshift on powershifts so I dont feel I need a shifter, never broken a tranny either!!

Users who are viewing this thread