Age old debate with exhaust

Snake_93

Established Member
BBK ceramic coated shorties and 2 chamber flows. The stock catted h-pipe has finally busted and has a nasty nasty exhaust leak.

Should I go with an x pipe or an h pipe? O/R of course....

93deznutsblown

Could be faster than u!!!
Established Member
The h-pipe is my choice with the 5.0. I run the bbk shorties, h-pipe and 2 chamber flows and I love the musical notes it produces. Besides, someone at the corral did a dyno test, h vs x
and there wasn't a horsepower increase using the x-pipe over the h-pipe only a sound differences. Anyone else agree?

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
I run Hedman LTs, o/r X pipe, Spintech prostreets with tailpipes and absolutely love the wicked sound, there isn't anything around here like it, did I mention it is crazy loud. There is a slight gain up top when running a X vs. H. It all depends on what sound you are looking for, want a very, very deep rumble go with the H, want a deep/ roaring exhaust go with the X.

93deznutsblown

Could be faster than u!!!
Established Member
Do you have any vid's so we can here the spintechs? I'd love to hear it..... Always looking for some new tunes.

Lee

Established Member
X-pipes are better for high rpm power, at the expense of some hp in the lower rpms. X-pipes also perform better with equal length headers because the X-pipe scavenges better with the correct pulse timing. H-pipes generally keep the torque and power in the mid to upper mid range and they're affected less by non-equal length headers. All that being said: If I ever get around to replacing my exhaust I'd go with full length headers on a high flow catted H-pipe. my .02

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
My car has an offroad H-Pipe with 2 chamber Flowmasters. I really like the sound of it, but it is a little loud for my taste at WOT. I am thinking of getting some three chamber flows when I get ready to fix my exhaust leak.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
x-pipes are a lot more forgiving on the ears inside the car. I am planning to dump my MAc prochamber for a VRS x-pipe very very soon. I hate that damn 2000 rpm drone that h's produce. It is very annoying on road trips

CobraSphere

Established Member
I have BBK ceramic unequal length headers, Bassini X with Cats, and 2 chamber flowmasters. Great sound. Not too loud and good higher RPM sound.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Sorry I don't yet, I promise you though it has a awesome sound to it. It is very very loud, but extremely quiet in the cabin, its perfect. It sounds sorta like a bassani X and cat back set up, but a lot louder and a more throaty sound, and has a kick ass tone on the decel. Whenever I get on it and someone is next to me with their windows down they are trying to cover their ears!! As a friend of mine said, it has that "pissed off mustang sound" to it.

psucobra

Established Member
Ive tried both and I definately prefer the X over the H. With the
H-pipe the drone was almost unbearable. X-pipes are just as loud without the dreaded drone. As far as HP goes I didnt feel any notable difference either way.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
Originally posted by TwoToneFreak
Sorry I don't yet, I promise you though it has a awesome sound to it. It is very very loud, but extremely quiet in the cabin, its perfect. It sounds sorta like a bassani X and cat back set up, but a lot louder and a more throaty sound, and has a kick ass tone on the decel. Whenever I get on it and someone is next to me with their windows down they are trying to cover their ears!! As a friend of mine said, it has that "pissed off mustang sound" to it.

I have a digital video camera and a computer that can upload vids. Maybe we can get together sometime and make a sound video. I have been wondering what mine sounds and looks like passing at full throttle, but I need a camera operator.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Sounds like a good idea. I have been wanting to hear what mine sounds like too. Maybe we can get together one night this week or this weekend and get some video. Check your pms.

Users who are viewing this thread