Air cleaner hold down?

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Probably seems like a stupid question, but has anyone come up with a better solution than that chintzy threaded clip attached to the body? Seems like it's a use once and throw away thing, and it won't tighten up anymore.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member

Yeah, I just installed one - the AR kit, but having problens getting the cover tight, The stock bolt won't even clear the cover, though they tell you to use it, and I can see on their site below a different one is used in the pic.

I'm not happy with the filter just flopping around in there with no support either. Probably fabricate some sort of wrap around clamp to bolt to the body.

http://www.amazonracing.com/page1(03cobra).html

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
The body holds the 12 inch in place nice and tight

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by KWladyka
You could make something like Postban's

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=27859&highlight=air+box

or mine

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37260&highlight=airbox

to hold the filter in place. On my box, I used the stock bolt location to hold the box and then notched the top cover to slide around it when the cover is set in place. That way I never have to fuss with the bolt.

Thanks man. I sent you a PM.

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
Thanks man. I sent you a PM.

I sent you an email with the pictures yesterday but it just came back with "Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed." I seem to get that often when I try to send attachments to AOL accounts. These are about 3.6mb. Let me know if they come through.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Got it (though for some reason after downloading it twice, I crashed twice - have problems with PDF files on this system).
Thanks man.

You did a great job fabricating that - looks awesome. Better and far more functional than any of the cheesy vendor ones I've seen. Makes the one I just bought look like a piece of crap. (Can you tell I like it?) :)

You ought to post them pics up here so the rest of our members can be duly impressed. :thumbsup:

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Thanks Caveman, I appreciate the words. It’s always nice to get any constructive feedback. The CAI debate seems to keep coming up again and again.

I also found that after looking at other manufactures designs they all seemed to miss some aspect or another. Many have a heat shield but without a forced flow of cool air into the airbox, it’s comparable to a house in the hot summer heat. Without cool air (from an air conditioner), the inside of the house will eventually become as hot or hotter than the outside air. So I think a ram air hose delivering a constant flow of cool air is important in a shielded design. Providing a means to connect a ram air hose is another area that is missing from most designs.

I also tried using just an open element. While it gave similar E/T’s, I found that over time that setup caused the filter to become dirty too quickly and thus was not practical for a daily driver. Keeping the MAF sensor wire clean is desirable and so having a system which does not require cleaning the main filter on a regular basis meets that goal.

The pictures I posted before were reduced in resolution to fit in one file. I’ll post them separately for those who may be interested.

Hopefully designs like this will assist others in creating even better solutions as I still think the current commercial choices could be better.

If anyone has an ideas on how it could be more effective let me know. Last time I discussed this CAI someone suggested using a foam pre-filter at the edge of the hose. That also seems like a good idea. I did test the ram air hose using a compressor at the bumper duct and air still flows past the flat pre-stage filter quite well (really nothing more than a thin sheet of gauze between two wire screens and some K&N filter oil). One useful test would be to have a temperature gauge inside of the box and one outside and see the difference. I’m not sure what would be the easiest means to set that up though. Any ways, as always, comments are appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread