Air intake triggering CEL???

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
i bolted on the knn typhoon on my svtf and its awesome, but a few hours after, the CEL came on... says (mixture is too rich)...anybody exeprience that before?

thanks

SpeedOften

Established Member
usually with an intake your air fuel ratio will lean out a bit.. so make sure you installed everything correctly...

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
everything is installed as the instructions say, my mechanic said its because of the air intake and it cant be fixed unless i go back to the stock air box and i do not wanna do that !

SpeedOften

Established Member
it can be fixed... and you don't have to go back to the stock airbox... During the install did you disconnect the battery?

I'd recommend pulling the ground cable off the battery for 15 mins. This resets the ECU. So when you replace the cable the car will react to the improved airflow as though it's natural... if you stil get a code.. your 02 could be bad... what exactly is the code that came up?

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
the code was P0172 (mixture too rich) something along those lines, and yeah as stated in the instructions, i removed the (black) negative wire from the battery before installation and reconnected it right before start up...

btw is there such a thing as an aftermarket sensor or somehting that can take the extra air or something like that?

02AllBlackSVT

Hmm....
Established Member
SpeedOften said:
I'd recommend pulling the ground cable off the battery for 15 mins. This resets the ECU. So when you replace the cable the car will react to the improved airflow as though it's natural... if you stil get a code.. your 02 could be bad... what exactly is the code that came up?

+1

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
ok i just tried that and the CEL went off, but didnt get a chance to drive the car, i just let it idle a little bit and it was fine...hope it stays that way in a few hours...thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread