Air to Air Intercooler Setups

qwikcobra

Established Member
Whose coolers are everybody running??

I have a new 408 and a vortech t-trim in a 94 mustang with abs and p/s cooler already removed for this project.

I am leaning toward the Precision Turbo 825hp right now. Would be great if someone could comment on the quality and fitment. Looking at the proposed routing I like the in/out on either side down low. Also I have a curved discharge T-trim to deal with, That may be a problem someone has dealt with

Here is what I am working with currently. I will flip the lid on the vortech and come in on the drivers side.

381194733.jpg

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
good god that setup is nasty!! how much power are you making right now?? Sorry I have no clue what you may need.. will a straight discharged s/c work on your car like from a 98?? that may be alot better to deal with..

tistan

Established Member
Can you flip the blower around with a custom brakcet so tha the outlet on the blower faces the front of the car? I don't know how you can route with that inlet without having some really hard turns. Call vortech and see how much it will cost to put a new outlet on your blower.

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member
from what ive seen you need to either send your blower to vortec and get a straight outlet discharge put on or cut it and weld in a straight peice yourself. best of luck and that set up looks nasty. i myself would like to get an a\a ic on my set up eventually too.

qwikcobra

Established Member
Looking at it tonight there seems to be enough room to turn 90 down and go between the inlet elbow on the blower and the #1 header tube that would bring it out near where the swaybar mount used to be. Time to order some peices I think.

I have only got a break in tune and a few hundred miles on it now, the clutch slipped when we tried to make a pull so we aborted. Been trying to get everything done/fixed and go back just once to dial it in.

Roll Race Rob

Established Member
i run the precision 850. its a garrett core, precision makes the cast endtanks and welds them on. the garrett cores are a very nice bar and plate design which provides much better cooing that the tube and fin type a lot of other a/a intercoolers run. imo these are the best a/a intercoolers for the money, iat's remain awesome, and it's relatively cheap for the type of results they warrant. it fit in my 98 cobra fairly easily.

Wildcard

Established Member
I can recommend that intercooler I've used it many times. Precision turbos intercoolers are all Garrett cores. I use a BTI Godzilla Intercooler which comprises of a Greddy Four Core. Total measurements are 24" x 11.75" x 5.25". It's good for around 1700 hp. 3" inlet and 4" outlet.

pm sent on advise on how to route the intercooler piping on a curved supercharger housing.

Last edited:

qwikcobra

Established Member
Almost done!!! I think it turned out great. Glad I was able to make the outlet pipe fit behind the blower, never seen one done this way.

382707737.jpg

382707706.jpg

382707711.jpg

382707715.jpg

382707719.jpg

Lower Mounting and Bumber Cut
382707721.jpg

382707725.jpg

382707729.jpg

Upper Mounting
382707733.jpg

Next Project more boost with an ASP 8" 10-rib crank and 3.12 upper:rockon:
382707741.jpg

Last edited:

2003GTIZZLE

**** YO COUCH NIKKA!
Established Member
That looks beautiful.

I am running a CX Racing Mustang FMIC kit and love it. IATs when Kurgan tuned it with just the shop fan were under a 100' and that for the money is all I need. I do not have some 5K motor that I am really needing a high performance high quality FMIC but for what I got I am very impressed. My only issue so far is having to upgrade my bypass valve to a minirace Vortech because of severe bucking and surging around 1200-1500 RPM. Other then that the kit is perfect!

024.jpg

032.jpg

JTR

Last edited:

rider4life350

Established Member
how well did this fit the stang? do you remember what dimensions the front mount is cuz im gonna be putting on a vortech v1 and I would like to put a front mount on it and im just looking around for the least expensive option as far as a intercooler goes because im in college and broke lol

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Can you direct me to the place you got that Nice polished piping?
That setup came out great, LUV that upper plenums versatility!

qwikcobra

Established Member
I got all the bends, connectors, clamps, and even the bypass valve flange (The Greddy one is the same for a Vortech Mini Race) from
Treadstone Performance Inc, Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Turbo manifolds, Silicone hose
they were really fast to ship and for the price you cant beat it.

the intercooler I got off eGay from these guys this is not the cheapest by far there are some cheaper ones out there in the 250 range that are almost as big. This one is the perfect width it fills the opening in the bumper completely and is well constructed

Precision Turbo 825hp Front Mount Intercooler FMIC : eBay Motors (item 300237390368 end time Feb-17-10 23:25:46 PST)

Users who are viewing this thread