Airbag Question

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
If you're replacing both airbags AND the control module, is it still necessary to have the Rotunda tool to deactivate and reactivate the system? Or, is that tool only necessary when resetting the control module??

Note: I don't even know if you have to do that on newer models, but the info I read was based on a 95 model year.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
The short answer is no. It's a ridiculous story that's hard to explain why I'm replacing the airbags.

Anywho, I'm thinking the answer is no on the Rotunda tool, but I'd like some confirmation.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
No worries.

Just disconnect the battery and get the swap done.

The 99-04 models use a shock/g-force type system, versus the 94-98's which use "impact push in" modules located at the front of the car in the grille opening.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
Not to hijack, but where do you find tools to remove the steering wheel airbag with? I was going to change the clockspring, mines worn up, and there were the strangest bolts ever holding the airbag...

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
just unhook the battery, or pull the fuse for the RCM. but the batt. is the best way

Not to hijack, but where do you find tools to remove the steering wheel airbag with? I was going to change the clockspring, mines worn up, and there were the strangest bolts ever holding the airbag...

got a pic? they are usually just a normal bolt. but ford did sell a anti-theft kit years ago for airbags. someone may have put them in yours, and lost the key... lets hope not

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
lol...it took me forever to find a good deal on some take out bags. That combined with a general lack of interest, ridiculous FL heat, and a busy work life = procrastination. I routinely walk out to the garage and yell at the car however. Now, to top things off, I think the battery is dead.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
lol...it took me forever to find a good deal on some take out bags. That combined with a general lack of interest, ridiculous FL heat, and a busy work life = procrastination. I routinely walk out to the garage and yell at the car however. Now, to top things off, I think the battery is dead.

lol. It was 77 today...

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Yeah, that is definitely one thing that Ohio has over FL. The ****ed up thing is when I lived in S FL, it is literally 6-7° cooler there.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
got a pic? they are usually just a normal bolt. but ford did sell a anti-theft kit years ago for airbags. someone may have put them in yours, and lost the key... lets hope not

Airbag.PNG

wtf would anyone steal an Airbag :??:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Craziness!! Mine were just two normal 8mm bolts. I think they are only torqued to like 8 ft/lbs or something like that, so you may be able to break them with some needlenose or something like that. Have you tried that? If you can get them off, I would replace them with normal bolts.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Craziness!! Mine were just two normal 8mm bolts. I think they are only torqued to like 8 ft/lbs or something like that, so you may be able to break them with some needlenose or something like that. Have you tried that? If you can get them off, I would replace them with normal bolts.

:eek:

That is wild!! I've never seen that before.

The last owner definitely put those in, they are not factory.

I think he can get them out with needle nose pliers too.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
:eek:

That is wild!! I've never seen that before.

The last owner definitely put those in, they are not factory.

I think he can get them out with needle nose pliers too.

The scratches from the pliers can probably be seen in the pics. Maybe a chisel and a hammer will do the job. Unless the airbag unit is sensitive to shocks and explode :lol1:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Hmmm...that is odd. Just unhook your battery and let the car sit for a little bit. All the power will be drained, so you have no risk of accidental deployment.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Well I know airbag thefts were bad for awhile and I know they sold antitheft kits...so that's probably one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread