Alcohol Injection - Anybody done it??

NoAllies

Boost-A-Holic
Established Member
I'm an old time DSM'r who's always ran alky injection on my cars. It works excellently with turbo cars, has anybody had any success with supercharged vehicles? With a turbocharged vehicle you spray alcohol after the intercooler just before the throttle body. So, it's being sprayed into the compressed air, but not hitting the fins of the turbine and not seeing all that heat. Is there any way that the compression of the supercharger could cause the flash point of the alcohol to predetonate inside the supercharger and blow it to pieces? I ask this because on one of my DSM's I had a case of predetonation happen in my Magnus SMIM and it blew that F'r to pieces.

Anybody with any input on this would be of great help. I really need an octane boost when in WOT, and alcohol works great as an octane booster, and cooler...which helps greatly with detonation. I have a major problem with detonation, being in AK all we have is 90 octane and we just lost our distributor for Torco. About the only option I have is to try and run alcohol or mix race gas with regular pump gas on every fill, which will get very costly. Any other idea would be appreciated!

I'm currently running an open element air filter, custom cat back exhaust, and a Predator performance tune with spark advance retarded 5% to accomodate our crap 90 octane here...and I'm still pinging. I need somethin! Haha

Here's the kit I normally run:
http://www.smcenterprises.com/turbo.htm

Input or ideas?

Last edited:

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
Your prolly better off just taking timing out of the motor. How much timing and boost are you running??

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
What revision Predator tune? The older ones were crap, rev 9 or later were better. Retarding spark 5% is only a few tenths of a degree. :dw: You need to take out 2-4 degrees until it stops detonating.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Order a custom email tune from JDM, JLP, or another respected email tuner. And obtain the ability to correctly datalog so you can send datalog files back so they can review and it will be money well invested. If it is only pinging from the ow octane, some lowering the spark advance will help.

If you still want to ensure a higher octane, look into Meth injection. There are a handful of Lightning guys that run there with great results. I have helped install several kits and tune with the meth as well, and it is a nice mod for the money if you need it, like in your instance possibly. Probably ALOT cheaper then setting up for Alky and safer as well. I actually purchased a kit a while back to use myself and then never used it because I am going a different route to help keep my IAT's cool. I still have this kit new in the box if you're interested too. Hope that helps, FFS

NoAllies

Boost-A-Holic
Established Member
I'm still on stock pulleys and it's running around 10-11 lbs. Timing I can not tell you, have not datalogged yet. It will be whatever stock timing is minus the 5% I've pulled via the Predator.

I'm pretty sure the revision on the predator is old, it's definately not the newest revision. I just have not been able to get ahold of a serial to serial or serial to usb cable in order to upgrade firmware/revision. I know I need to upgrade. I want to run one of the 91 octane tunes, and the revision on the predator currently does not have them.

I'm not necessarily set on running alcohol, methanol is a great option as well...both should yeild gains very close to one another. I have installed the snow performance/aquamist kits before and I do prefer the SMC kit for the progressive controller and the in tank walbro 190 lph pump, very easy installation and you dont have to find some wierd place to mount the pump. I'm not so worried about the kit to use, rather if it is even viable to run alcohol or methanol on a supercharged motor.

I know that this may be an unconventional way to up octane rating and lower IAT's, but it does work very effectively. When you're stuck with 90 octane you're willing to try some new stuff, and this has served me great in the past when I was running 30psi on a 50 trim turbo in my 4 cyl DSM.

I'm pretty confident that this will work just fine and be a great modification, but I'm really wondering if spraying methanol or alcohol through the blower is a good idea. I just dont want to blow the top end to pieces if it pre-detonates because of the heat and compression being added after spraying/atomization.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Definitely talk with DrMatt, he is local and probably can help ya at. As far as the alcohol, I don't think it sounds like a viable option, not that I have any expereince with it, but methanol yes it can be sprayed pre-s/c. Probably a good person to talk to about that is if you register or log onto Nloc.net and speak with MaxLightning, (iirc). He has done alot of playing around a research with the meth kits, probably more than any other L owner? However not only his, but every L owner who I have dealt with that sprayed meth was pre-s/c and all had positive results. And remember it is only a mix you are spraying not 100%. In fact because it is a mix with water, it helps keep carbon and other deposits to a minimum as well. FFS

Users who are viewing this thread