All done but

old01cobra

Established Member
Alright started it with the new ignite E85. And with the American racing tensioner, 8 rib BGG setup, 3.1 pulley and the 10 Percent overdrive on a vortech there seems to be too much slop in the belt from the alternator to the PS pump. Right now I have the Gates K081124 on it that came with the BGG kit which its 113 inches long. With the big cams I have in the car at idle the belt is doing a happy dance from the alternator to the PS pump. If I push on the belt I can make it contact the triangle pulley bracket for the vortech. What length belt are you guys using. The movement on the American racing tensioner is near Zero while that belt is moving around. Im thinking of doing like a 110 belt or something not sure if that will have too much tension.

Thanks

01yellercobra

Established Member
Someone put an idler between the power steering pump and alternator. It might be worth researching. If the tensioner is in the right spot of the throw I wouldn't want to go messing with belt lengths.

old01cobra

Established Member
The tensioner is close with regards to throw. Its probably not perfect but it needed to be reclocked about 1/2 inch counterclockwise as that gave it more tension. Its also running like crap because it needs a real tune so im not sure if this is the cause as the rough idle is really playing with the belt. I look into that idler thing you mentioned thanks for that info. What size belt did you run in the past?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I honestly don't remember. I have a 113" hanging up, but I couldn't tell you if that was used on my centri set up. I ran 3.9" blower pulley with an ATI 12 or 15% overdrive. Never had an issue with slip once I got everything lined up. I ran a Thump tensioner as well.

JGDogg10

Established Member
My setup has a 7.48” crank pulley, 3.15” supercharger pulley, and a thump tensioner and I am running the k081124hd. Make sure the alignment is right. The belt was shaking really bad before I made some changes. My ribbed idler pulley on the far passenger side was a little off so I shimmed that, had to machine off the lip of my water pump pulley and pulled my power steering pulley out just a tiny bit and now the belt runs perfectly smooth. It’s crazy how much a tiny bit off of alignment made my belt dance and shake all over the place.

I am the person who had an idler pulley made for the spot between the power steering pulley and alternator. If you want pictures of what mine looks like I am more than happy to post them up. Let me know. I know for me, the belt that was smaller than the 112.4 was too short and the idler pulley helped make up that little bit of length so that the 112.4 goes on there really tight. I’ve always used the had belt because I heard there was less stretch, but not sure if that’s completely true or not.

The next size down belt is a k081102, which is ALOT smaller. That is why I had the idler setup made, to suck up some of that slack. Sucks they don’t make a belt between 110.2 and 112.4!

old01cobra

Established Member
Yup the K081102HD belt is too short. Like you said its about 1 inch to short while the 112.4 is 1 inch to long. Not sure what to do I know if I run the 112.4 with the factory tensioner its going to slip because I can push down about 1.5 inches on the slack between the Alternator and the PS pump. Who made that bracket for you.

Thanks

JGDogg10

Established Member
Yup the K081102HD belt is too short. Like you said its about 1 inch to short while the 112.4 is 1 inch to long. Not sure what to do I know if I run the 112.4 with the factory tensioner its going to slip because I can push down about 1.5 inches on the slack between the Alternator and the PS pump. Who made that bracket for you.

Thanks
It was made by a local shop in San Diego. It is a triangle bracket that hooks to the power steering reservoir and has an open end that sits on the threaded stud from the vortech supercharger that is held on by that 1/2” nut. It goes on after vortechs triangle bracket with the idler pulley on it. Doesn’t look like it was too hard to make. It’s angle is also adjustable to help with belt movement. I’ll take some pics tomorrow for you.

Users who are viewing this thread