All needed for e85

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes Canton filter that works with OEM lines but you have to call Canton direct for it.
Really that's only needed above 800rwhp range, but you'll likely be there eventually.
How much power planned?
-J

Willie

Established Member
FYI.... stuff you NEED to know >>

E85 is pretty much alcohol and octane is awesome. Advantage is lower tables can run higher timing levels above what you can do with pump gas, but...

Gas mileage is reduced 30 percent and additional cylinder wash down as you are running alcohol all the time. This means oil breakdown way, way faster, so synthetics rated for alcohol should be used and you must change your oil every 1500 miles or so. Plus alcohol absorbs moisture so if the car sits.. the fuel lines, rails, injectors will turn into funk...

Also >>
Difficult cold starts
Longer hot starts
Does nothing to reduce IAT2.
May be harder to find
E85 quality varies which impacts tune

These are the reasons I will never run this stuff but use methanol instead.

gt347mustang

Established Member
FYI.... stuff you NEED to know >>

E85 is pretty much alcohol and octane is awesome. Advantage is lower tables can run higher timing levels above what you can do with pump gas, but...

Gas mileage is reduced 30 percent and additional cylinder wash down as you are running alcohol all the time. This means oil breakdown way, way faster, so synthetics rated for alcohol should be used and you must change your oil every 1500 miles or so. Plus alcohol absorbs moisture so if the car sits.. the fuel lines, rails, injectors will turn into funk...

Also >>
Difficult cold starts
Longer hot starts
Does nothing to reduce IAT2.
May be harder to find
E85 quality varies which impacts tune

These are the reasons I will never run this stuff but use methanol instead.

E85 over Meth any day of the week.

Willie

Established Member
To each his own! Do you know that you are putting your motor to a slow premature death with washdown?
I run as much timing as anyone with e85. That's because I know how to tune methanol. Most guys won't touch it because they do not know how... or want to spend their valuable time with you... e85 is easy to tune. That is why people you pay for your tune do it...
And I see IAT2's BELOW ambient at full boost. You?
I have developed and utilize a 5-nozzle system that works quite well....
Knowledge is power... and I just happen to know. You? I run 10s with 91 and methanol. You?

Last edited:

gt347mustang

Established Member
To each his own! Do you know that you are putting your motor to a slow premature death with washdown?
I run as much timing as anyone with e85. That's because I know how to tune methanol. Most guys won't touch it because they do not know how... or want to spend their valuable time with you... e85 is easy to tune. That is why people you pay for your tune do it...
Knowledge is power... and I just happen to know. You? I run 10s with 91 and methanol. You?

I've tuned race gas and Meth, 91 and Meth and e85 on Meth... so yes, I do know. We going to turn this into a dick measuring contest now? Lol.

What I don't like about Meth is when the system fails, you risk toasting your engine, that's why I have to setup my Meth cals to run extremely conservative in the event Meth fails to inject.

Are we supposed to be impressed with your 10 sec run?

Edit: I've seen below ambient temps on a single nozzle, so I'm not sure why it took you 5? You just looking for more failure points?

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Is there any evidence E causes cylinder washing? Not like you're actually running richer....

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

djniknala

Established Member
Is there any evidence E causes cylinder washing? Not like you're actually running richer....

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Not really. With a proper PCV system(like the stock one) that pulls a vacuum and assuming you get your car up to full temp most times you drive their will be little to no effect. Too many used oil analysis’ out there(check bobistheoilguy) that refute the 1500 mile oil change. Also using constant closed loop fueling like the Trinity does almost eliminates the chance unless your fuel trims were over 25% rich(.75 or less LTFT)

beau t

Established Member
How about injectors getting clogged? I have a buddy that we have had to pull his out a couple of times to have cleaned (not a gt500 but still on 85) the car mainly sits so that may be the reason but curious if others have seen the same issue?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
How about injectors getting clogged? I have a buddy that we have had to pull his out a couple of times to have cleaned (not a gt500 but still on 85) the car mainly sits so that may be the reason but curious if others have seen the same issue?
Does your buddy swap between e85 and 93? I read about another member that had similar issues. I think the e85 acts almost like a cleaner for the fuel system, if you put it in and dont run the car the shit it cleans just sits.

beau t

Established Member
Does your buddy swap between e85 and 93? I read about another member that had similar issues. I think the e85 acts almost like a cleaner for the fuel system, if you put it in and dont run the car the shit it cleans just sits.

only 85 ----- that makes sense, thanks.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
We've ran E85 for 10+ years. My brother runs upper end lube regularly as the car sits extended periods and E85 spec fuel stabilizer before winter. He never has had an issue.
As long as they make E85 I'll run it, too many advantages plus allowing full power all the time due to the safety margins. Equal or better power than race fuel under $3/gal.
-J

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
This thread turned into a hog contest... lol

Come on fellas, keep it together!

mvga1987

Established Member

I have had 91 oct with methanol on 2 vettes and worked great for but now that I have a 2013 gt500 I cant find any tuner willing to tune it. Any chance I could talk to you about it? I would like to run pure meth on my 13 shelby. If u can help by explaining how u did on your ford and what other parts you had to get will be nice. My number is 415-424-1301.
Thanks.

Marcus

mvga1987

Established Member
Im a big fan of Ethanol since I'm from Brazil and in Brazil we have E100 in every gas station for over 40 years. Most cars in Brazil are flex fuel from factory. I had meth with 91 in 2 Procharged Vettes and had excellent results. I live in California and E85 gas stations are hard to find. I have been told by 3 tuners to tune for e85 but i would prefer meth injection so that I can just get 91 oct anywhere instead of having to drive far and store ethanol in my house.
The only problem is that no one seems to tune meth on fords.

Logan@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I've ran E85 for 8 months without swapping to 93. Not worried about it. Have a proper tune and PCV system and reap the benefits of E85. All the timing. Let me know if I can help any further.

Users who are viewing this thread