All New Gen V Small Block - Peek

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I'm kind of surprised to see an entirely new mass production pushrod V8 considering this is 2012. I figured the current LS motors would be the last hurrah until they couldn't meet requirements anymore. But on the other hand this is GM we're talking about, so I'm not too surprised.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I'm kind of surprised to see an entirely new mass production pushrod V8 considering this is 2012. I figured the current LS motors would be the last hurrah until they couldn't meet requirements anymore. But on the other hand this is GM we're talking about, so I'm not too surprised.

There is nothing really "old" about a pushrod when you think about it, just definitely not mainstream anymore:lol1: They pumped a billion bucks into the gen V, so I'm sure it'll be viable for several years

Check out those weird valve covers. The water pump is kinda wacky too.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
There is nothing really "old" about a pushrod when you think about it, just definitely not mainstream anymore:lol1: They pumped a billion bucks into the gen V, so I'm sure it'll be viable for several years

Check out those weird valve covers. The water pump is kinda wacky too.

That's what was surprising to me, really. They're apparently expecting to meet the increasingly strict emissions and fuel mileage requirements with a pushrod V8 motor in a large chunk of their vehicles. I'm not against pushrod motors though and welcome the innovations they'll have to bring to the table. Maybe some of their technology in this new Gen V will trickle down into the aftermarket. And yes, very odd looking pieces on that engine.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
That's what was surprising to me, really. They're apparently expecting to meet the increasingly strict emissions and fuel mileage requirements with a pushrod V8 motor in a large chunk of their vehicles. I'm not against pushrod motors though and welcome the innovations they'll have to bring to the table. Maybe some of their technology in this new Gen V will trickle down into the aftermarket. And yes, very odd looking pieces on that engine.

I'm sure it will be capable of meeting all regulatory requirements for a long time. They left a lot of future design capability in it. Lots of interesting pieces on that engine. What are those ports cast into each of the exhaust manifolds?

Those weird looking valve covers are rumored to cover a three valve head. IMO, I highly doubt that, and am of the opinion that some part of the DI fuel system is under there. Maybe some new type of cylinder deactivation?

It could also incorporate a VVT similar to what the Viper uses. It's pretty trick.

MAHLE CamInCam

Last edited:

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I thought about the Viper and the Hemis through all this pushrod talk. The VVT in the Viper is pretty cool. I did a little searching and most agree that the holes in the exhaust manifolds are for EGT sensors for testing purposes since this is not a full blown production motor yet. That's the only logical thing I can think of too.

I'm not sure about the funky valve covers. Could be for DI stuff but I wouldn't want to remove the valve covers to service any of the components for it. We'll find out soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread