All this talk about weight....

Squeeler92

I'm not sure where I stand on this. The argument seems to be "In this day in age, the car should NOT weigh this much and be considered a performance car." Now lets step back for a second. First, lets tread into familiar territory. The 03/04 Cobra weighed in close to 3700lbs, no lightweight by any means. Second, the GTO is ~3700-3800lbs as well. Now for the killer, the SRT's which are probably the closest competition (price wise) to the GT500 are ALL MORE than the Shelby weighs, with 75 less HP. The Challenger is reported to be over the 4K mark. The ONLY car that seems to get any distance from the Shelby's are the C6's. I can't think of a single other car at this price tag and performance that weighs a whole lot less.

Yes, the car in itself weighs a lot, but compared to other performance cars coming out, it's right where most automakers are at. Hell, when the new M3 comes out, yes....BMW, the "Ultimate Driving I'm compensating for something Machine"....will probably be just as much if not MORE than the GT500. Not to mention, their price tags will be ~10K+ more than the GT500's. Take a look at Mercedes high end SL's....they all are hefty cars. Sure, they have better platforms and suspensions and all that other crap, but the fact remains the same....the weight is there.

I am currently battling with my GTO and my dealership (might turn out taking the car to court to have it lemon'd....possibly) and if that is the case, I will VERY much look into the GT500. Sure, it may cost about the same as a leftover C6, but the GT500 is a bit more practical and you will likely be able to get more power out of the car at a cheaper price (honestly, do you need more than 500rwHP on the street when you don't go out looking for a race??).

Just my .02

rocknrod

Car Builder
Established Member
Thank God someone is making sence.
A few more hundred pounds for Many more thousand dollars.
Works for me :)

stang22

Established Member
Yea,..and too the next negative nay-sayer about the weight issue again :rolleyes:,I say to them,...Eat-A-Carrot-Fat-Ass!!! :D

Squeeler92

gmynko said:
The only thing is a C6 can be had for a lot cheaper than a GT500 when you consider C6 discounts and GT500 markups

This is true, but once the GT500's come down, they will be relatively the same price, the GT500 probably being a BIT cheaper, but not much. The same thing happens with every new car. The C6 was also marked up like crazy when it was first released, now they're practically giving them away. Same thing with the SRT models and even the GTO's at one point (as funny as that sounds at this point in time).

My post was referring to the future, not the present. If you are looking for a car THIS INSTANT, Hell freaking yea I would go with a C6, but I don't have to (nor do I think many other people on this board) have it right this instant.

stang22

Established Member
Yea,and for me IMO,...the c6 sports car is just ok in looks,(plain)...I really don't care for the car at all,as my brother owns one,...give me the tougher lookin' muscle car new shelby anyday!!Besides its a chevy!! Ford's Rule!!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
gmynko said:
The only thing is a C6 can be had for a lot cheaper than a GT500 when you consider C6 discounts and GT500 markups

dont pay the markup. with the number ford has committed to build there will be plenty of gt500 at or below msrp.

WorkHorse09 said:
Hell, when the new M3 comes out, yes....BMW, the "Ultimate Driving I'm compensating for something Machine"....will probably be just as much if not MORE than the GT500.

i completely agree with your post, though i have heard the new m3 will be around the 3500 mark in terms of weight. the rs/s 4 from audi are a little heavier and bmw's m6 will be above 4k i believe.
with crash standards and all other junk that manufactuers need to comply with these days it is very hard to build a decent size 4 seat car that weights less than 4klbs. :beer:

Squeeler92

ON D BIT said:
i completely agree with your post, though i have heard the new m3 will be around the 3500 mark in terms of weight. the rs/s 4 from audi are a little heavier and bmw's m6 will be above 4k i believe.
with crash standards and all other junk that manufactuers need to comply with these days it is very hard to build a decent size 4 seat car that weights less than 4klbs. :beer:

Hmmm, I see that as quite a feat on BMW's part. Their current M3 weighs in at 3500. The new one seems a bit heftier along with a V8 and I'm sure a lot of other useless goodies. Well, it's all speculation at this point, but we'll see. But still, there are plenty of other examples that makes this issue on the GT500's weight seem overstated....

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
stang22 said:
Yea,..and too the next negative nay-sayer about the weight issue again :rolleyes:,I say to them,...Eat-A-Carrot-Fat-Ass!!! :D

F'n Svtperformance.com top 10 classic right there! :lol:

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
I agree, weight is not that big of an issue. My big problem with the GT500 is it weighs a little more than the terminator but the logo doesn't reflect the weight gain. Shelby should have gone with something like this..
sgt500-1.jpg

:p :shrug:

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
FAsnakes said:
I agree, weight is not that big of an issue. My big problem with the GT500 is it weighs a little more than the terminator but the logo doesn't reflect the weight gain. Shelby should have gone with something like this..
sgt500-1.jpg

Thats funny :lol:

mrGT

Established Member
FAsnakes said:
sgt500-1.jpg

That is indeed funny!!!

But weight is only important to those who will be racing. For me, I'm not going to be racing, so weight doesn't even enter into the buy or not buy equation. I'm assuming that there are just as many, if not more, that want the Shelby because they just want that car...ie, not going to be racing. I think a heavier car will ride better...when I road in the Z06, I felt like a bobble doll. Now I haven't ridden in GT500, but my 05 GT road pretty dang nice...but not as nice as my Lexus.

As you might tell, I'm no longer a racer...takes too much money to mod and keep modding when you get beat, to say nothing of the numerous repairs required from putting your car on the track...either from mechanical failure or driver failure.

I have nothing against racing....just trying to put a different perspective out there. That's All.....Carry On!!

R1Lello

Established Member
FAsnakes said:
sgt500-1.jpg

:burn: You're such a d*ck. Join the C6 forums. What's the matter, couldn't afford the top dog Z06, had to buy the lower model C6??? Just like people that wanted Z28's but couldn't afford them, so they bought Z24's.

Get a life............and don't worry, plenty of GT500's will be handing your ass to you.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
FAsnakes said:
sgt500-1.jpg

That is funny :beer:

Ryan02Stang

Established Member
FAsnakes said:
sgt500-1.jpg

Looks like that snake just ate a C6, he only looks that way because he is waiting for it to digest.

Also...one more disgrace to Vette owners...

BelvedereGTX

Banned
FAsnakes said:
sgt500-1.jpg

Funniest damn thing in the world. :lol:

stang22

Established Member
Ryan02Stang said:
Looks like that snake just ate a C6, he only looks that way because he is waiting for it to digest.

Also...one more disgrace to Vette owners...
Absolutely!! Down goes Chevy!!

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I think this is a good thread (mostly) on the weight issue. Really the only bashing to be had is in comparison to the C6; where the C6 Vert is around 800lbs less than the GT500 Vert (I'm a vert guy). But they're sooo different, I tet drove a C6 vert & not interested, felt lite, but not a Stang. It's all mostly about price to me ... for the right price I'd be happy with the 4,000lbs & 500hp starting point - and I think that's your point, forget the markups etc now, if I can get X plan on the 500 like I got on my Term - I'm pretty much in. Til then, no C6 in my future, I'll run the Term another year & hopefully hit a late 08 500 & then spend my time building up crazy hp easily to compensate for a couple hundred extra pounds.

D.

Diggy Moe

Established Member
Think if the GT500 was 200-300 lbs less.That's an increase in braking,handling,gas mileage,and oh yeah-accelerating.I'm sure the new M3 will weigh less than 3900 lbs and the Charger SRT8 is a sedan with 4 doors.My Cobra(sold and missed) wasn't about being practical.

Users who are viewing this thread