Alldata vs Mitchell vs ?

werstlna

Established Member
For those that have used these, which would you recommend? I need something that covers a good variety of vehicles without breaking the bank. Also I would like to buy the software just one time rather than the monthly subscription. Thoughts, good idea or bad idea?

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
The FSM is the best overall. Alldata is the best of the non factory sources. Our dealer had Alldata, but then switched to Mitchell. Alldata was a lot better, easier to navigate, the information seemed more current.

svtvtx

Established Member
Well I have both so I think I should be able to answer this. Also I have been a full time tech for over eight years now and have been using both programs during that time. They both have the same info for the most part although Alldata usually has a little more plus their diagrams are much higher quality. The one thing Mitchell does way better though is the wiring diagrams. The Alldata wiring diagrams are pretty poor and just look like they scanned the diagrams out of a book. The Mitchell diagrams are all recreated by Mitchell and they allow you to highlight particular circuits and really help you track things down.

I think I would take Mitchell as they both will tell you what you need but you get the better wiring diagrams with Mitchell. Also for reference Alldata is about 120 gigs right now and Mitchell is much smaller somewhere around 70 or 80 I think. When I say that Alldata has better diagrams I am referring to their pictures which are they same as Mitchell's just a little higher res.

Last edited:

mrlrd1

Established Member
Well I have both so I think I should be able to answer this. Also I have been a full time tech for over eight years now and have been using both programs during that time. They both have the same info for the most part although Alldata usually has a little more plus their diagrams are much higher quality. The one thing Mitchell does way better though is the wiring diagrams. The Alldata wiring diagrams are pretty poor and just look like they scanned the diagrams out of a book. The Mitchell diagrams are all recreated by Mitchell and they allow you to highlight particular circuits and really help you track things down.

I think I would take Mitchell as they both will tell you what you need but you get the better wiring diagrams with Mitchell. Also for reference Alldata is about 120 gigs right now and Mitchell is much smaller somewhere around 70 or 80 I think. When I say that Alldata has better diagrams I am referring to their pictures which are they same as Mitchell's just a little higher res.

My experience is somewhat different. We have both at my shop too, but I prefer Alldata. Why? I prefer using the manufacturers diagrams in most cases. Ford, GM, Chrysler all have a LOT of additional info that's extremely helpful in diagnosing circuits. That is available on Alldata (they use the manufacturer diagrams), but not Mitchells proprietary diagrams. I also HATE having to click through 4-5 pages of Engine Performance diagrams just to trace a single circuit through a confusing maze of lines.

I wish every manufacturers diagrams were as good as the ones Ford produced up until the mid 00s.

Users who are viewing this thread