Alright, let me describe this drivability issue to you.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
The car has been running well except when the AC is on. While driving the AC cycles from on to off, which I am not sure it is saposed to do while under max ac, but anyway when it turns back on it seems to really kick hard. I can feel the car pull back for a fraction of a second. While shifting the idle comes down so fast it makes the car very jerky to drive, which gets to u after awhile. Also sometimes when coming to a stop, the idle comes down so fast that it almost stalls, falling to about 600 rpm, then recovers. It even stalled yesterday. Its also more finicky to launch normally. It will either put u back in the seat to hard or buck. On sunday I actually stalled the car for the first time since I had it. I was really anoyed, I had a pretty good streak going (11 months). I felt like I was jerry in that episode of sienfeld where he threw up from the black and white cookie. What do you guys think the problem is? AC clutch, IAC? Also my MPG goes down by 4 mpg with it on. Any suggestions.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
definitely clean your IAC. cleaning your MAF sensor wouldn't hurt either.
try those 2 and see if the problem continues. our cars seem to have a problem with idling/ac

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
clean it very thoroughly. spray a bunch of carb cleaner in there. cover the holes up with your palm and shake it real good for a few seconds. then just pour the rest out of the iac.
Do that about 3 times. you'll see when its really actually clean. then just make sure both sides of the connections for the harness are clean and corrosion free too. for the full effect, disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes then reconnect it and take it for a good run!
oh and if you have one of those "iac restrictor plates" remove it. then try the car out.
:fart:

Last edited by a moderator:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
people have been using carb. cleaner on iac's for years. never heard of any problems yet. i clean mine every few months, never had any problems.
the throtle body has a special coating that carb. cleaner may ruin. no coatings on the iac though.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
Oh ok, I thought it could damage it. Well i guess thats the only sensor that its ok to use it on? I thought carb clean wasnt safe for any sensor?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Any electical parts should be cleaned with electrical contact cleaner. However, if you don't spray the plug on your IAC, carb cleaner is OK.

BTW, I assume your VSS is hooked up and functioning correctly?

MidNight Snake

Established Member
93Cobra2771 said:
Vehicle Speed Sensor - tells the eec what speed you are running.

You know what it might not be. I didn't put my gears in myself and who knows what the guy did. Cruise control is ALOT more jerkey now, especialy when I am going down hill. I just thought it was because of the steeper gears. But I didn't think the car would run if it didnt know what speed it was going. Fords way of making sure no one tampers with the odometer.

Users who are viewing this thread