Alt problem?

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
Hey guys, i have a problem, i started my turbo cobra today and i didnt have no leaks, exhaust leaks or nothing like that. I noticed the battery light was on in the dash.
Previously i relocated the battery to the trunk with a optima redtop battery(new) and that is working properly. My alt is a 01 cobra alt wit a 3 wire plug harness that plugs into it. i read that the middle wire on that plug goes the to distribution box in your engine bay adn the other 2 hook up to your harness is that correct?
I took a volt meter and hooked it to the bolt on the side of the alt and it wasnt putting out any volts. To me its a bad alt but is there a fuse or anything that could be blown to cause this. Im sure someone out there has had this problem. But this is the only thing stopping me from getting it tuned.

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
So you JUST did this mod and have the problem or you've had it for a while?
I have a relocation. Everything goes to the dist box and 1 wire runs to the positive on the battery in my setup. Is yours different?

Last edited:

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
So you JUST did this mod and have the problem or you've had it for a while?
I have a relocation. Everything goes to the dist box and 1 wire runs to the positive on the battery in my setup. Is yours different?

true thats the same as mine, but the plug on my alt takes a 3 wire plug. If you remember the factory alt only had a 2 wire plug. So with the wire that is left alone on the 3 wire plug i ran to the distribution box and hooked it up to power. I just think the alt is dead even know its new. Cause like i said it isnt putting out any volts.

PS. If i had teh wires on that plug backwards or something would that make it not put out any volts or shoudl it still put out something?

To relocate my battery i ran the factory power to the distribution box and ran my new power coming from the trunk to the distribution box also and grounded it to the gas tank strap.

Last edited:

prostkr

Established Member
from left to right look at the engine from the front of the car...

left-green/red
middle-12v from the location I mentioned to you(power block between battery and strut tower)
right-yellow/white

Edit: for clarification

left-passnger side
middle-middle wire on pigtail
right-driver side

the green/red and yellow/white are on the factory harness.

Copied from a post Turbo VNM originally made.

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
thanks and i will look at this when i get home. Thanks again guys and if anyone else has anything else feel free to post it in here. My ears are open

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
thanks for the info guys, i fixed my problem. Just had the wires crossed on the 3 wire plug and now it puts out 15.1 volts. Thanks again SVT

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Looks like both found the bad info on the internet. I discovered mine was wrong before I started the car and made the correction. I think I went with the good info and pics that were in the Hellion instructions and didnt connect the middle wire to anything since it wasnt used from the factory.

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
Looks like both found the bad info on the internet. I discovered mine was wrong before I started the car and made the correction. I think I went with the good info and pics that were in the Hellion instructions and didnt connect the middle wire to anything since it wasnt used from the factory.

Yeah i did that also, i didnt think you had to run it to the distribution box and give it power. But shows you what i know

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Yeah i did that also, i didnt think you had to run it to the distribution box and give it power. But shows you what i know

I didnt hook mine up and its charging. I just have the outer wires connected to the factory wires that are in the harness. I just had them swapped at first then noticed it before starting the car.

Users who are viewing this thread