Alternator issues again - 2008 GT500

M1A....

Established Member
Went for what I thought would be a quick drive this morning which turned into a 3 hour pain in the ass. Car dies. Call AAA, they eventually come and test. Alternator is bad. I had it replaced under extended warranty December 2011. I call Ford dealer, he says too many miles since repair. No more warranty.

What do you guys recommend for a replacement. Ford used a rebuilt part which was crap. (I had to have them do it twice last year. First one went after a week.)

I'm going to do it myself, so are there any tricks to getting it in and out?

TIA!!

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Contact Tousley Ford, they are a sponser of SVTP and they are the cheapest for ford parts. ANYWHERE.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ditch the Ford junk. They are made poorly. I was left stranded out of state and had to get a Ford dealer to put a new alternator on at around 6000 miles. I didn't have time for a PA to get delivered. The new Ford alt barely passed testing. When it fails again, a PA is going in.

2013 TVS powered

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Ditch the Ford junk. They are made poorly. I was left stranded out of state and had to get a Ford dealer to put a new alternator on at around 6000 miles. I didn't have time for a PA to get delivered. The new Ford alt barely passed testing. When it fails again, a PA is going in.

2013 TVS powered

+1
Ford is well aware. Google Ford alternator failure and have a seat.

PLEASE REACH ME VIA EMAIL AT [email protected] AS OPPOSED TO PM. THANKS.

M1A....

Established Member
It really sucks that I had it replaced less than a year ago by the dealer. Since I've gone more than 10k since then, they won't honor the warranty. They put in rebuilt crap to replace the stock crap. THE DEALERS IN SOUTH FLORIDA SUCK DONKEY D$CKS!!

Slabo

Established Member
This thread got me curious so I checked and the Shelby alternators are the PA performance alternators. They just put a Shelby badge on them. Looks like that same price as well.

Cool that PA offers different color finishes for extra $.

mullens

Established Member
It really sucks that I had it replaced less than a year ago by the dealer. Since I've gone more than 10k since then, they won't honor the warranty. They put in rebuilt crap to replace the stock crap. THE DEALERS IN SOUTH FLORIDA SUCK DONKEY D$CKS!!

So you are saying that you are past the mileage cap on your extended warranty?

M1A....

Established Member
So you are saying that you are past the mileage cap on your extended warranty?

Yes, I'm past all warranties. I'm at 84k right now. Last December I was at 69k. They only warranty their work for 12 months or 10k miles.

I'm out of warranty. No big deal. I'll fix it myself.

The dealers here do suck though. I've had numerous issues with them.

I remember one time I took my car is to have the left headlight swapped under warranty.

I waited for the car. The service writer came and got me after about an hour and said they were done. He said, I have some bad news though, they scratched the bumper. I said, come on, you're kidding. He said no, but it's not that bad. I went and looked, and they marred and scratched the bumper under the headlight. I asked how in the hell did they do that. The service writer told me that the tech did not know that the bumper was supposed to come off to remove the headlight.

He pried the old headlight out, and forced the new one in without removing the bumper. I was more than pissed.

They said they would fix it. I said you're out of you're FOCKING mind if you think I'm letting that car go back in there with those MONKEYS!!!

They're just asshats down here. So transient.

M1A....

Established Member
This thread got me curious so I checked and the Shelby alternators are the PA performance alternators. They just put a Shelby badge on them. Looks like that same price as well.

Cool that PA offers different color finishes for extra $.

I saw that. Yes cool. But you really can't see the alternator. I wouldn't pay extra. My car is a DD. No show car here.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
I killed the stock alternator and the smaller PA one (130 amp ???). Aftermarket fuel pumps did in the PA alternator inside of 4 months. Definitely go with the bigger PA or even a Denzo.

Users who are viewing this thread