Alternator not charging, wiring issue?

brasscoe

Established Member
Had what I suspected was another bad alternator so bit the bullet and got a Mechman 240amp. Put it in, battery is fully charged reads 12.5v at the terminal, car starts but areoforce gauges read 11.3v and drop slowly. Alternator tap reads 15.2v. I used the wiring harness for the 4 plug connector from Mechman which just plugs into the factory one. A connectivity test from the battery + poll to the alternator tap shows there is connectivity. Checked all the fuses so I suspect it's something bad in the 4 pin connector. I found this diagram http://www.modularfords.com/threads/172444-Help-wiring-2004-cobra-alternator is the next step just to tear into the 4 pin connector trace it back and see if anything is damaged? Anything else I should look for? Thanks in advance.

brasscoe

Established Member
Nevermind, found the problem. badwire.jpg

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
what was the problem? mine took a shit about 2 weeks ago and i have been puttting the car aside. sounds like it wants to fire up and i also have a kb bap on mine.

brasscoe

Established Member
There was this mickey mouse 3" extender cable going from the fuse box side post to the 2 cables (smaller green from the alternator 2 pin connector, & larger 4ga RED/BLACK cable) tied in together. It was corroded badly. Had connectivity from the one end to the alternator 2 pin connector, not to the other side. Tore all that out and replaced it with a lug terminal battery harness, has a nice 4ga lug connection and 2 addition for smaller wires. After that was fixed everything is working great. I should have checked the voltage at the alternator first, but I was suspicious of this alternator from the beginning since it never seemed to put out a good amount of voltage. I would see 13.2 or so from the alternator post cold, and 12.5 from the aeroforce gauge, but if I turned on anything like AC, lights, or farted it would drop to 11.5 and go down from there when it got hot. Mechman is showing 14v+ now at the aeroforce gauge with everything on and LRB pumping. Good to a spare alternator anyways.

I would think if the battery is charged it should still fire up even with a bad alternator; could be wrong but that's how mine was.

Users who are viewing this thread