Alternator pulley removal

duomaxwell

Established Member
I am sory to ask such a stupid Question but I can’t seem to get a strait answer on how to do it and what kind of pulley remover I need if I need one at all. The car is a 91’ GT, I posted hear because your cars are as close as I can get to my car on this site. I have tried searching this any many other sites for my answer, any info whold be greatly appreciated, thanks.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
You do not need any type of puller.. the pulley is not pressed on.

All you need to do is take the big nut and lock washer of the pulley shaft and then the pulley will simply slide off.

The best/easiest way to get the nut loose is with an impact. Put a rag over the pulley grooves and hold it from spinning with a pair of channel locks. Then use the impact to loosen the nut ... then simply reverse the procedure for install. Its a 30 second job.....

On a side note if the alternator is still on the car... leave the belt on , loosen the nut and then remove the belt, remove pulley, reinstall pulley and tighten nut.

Littlemotor

Established Member
No need to hold the pulley/fan with channel-loc's either, just use your hand.:rockon:

I do it every day, lol. Unless some retard used loc-tite on the nut, it'll come right off just due to the impact action. Hell, if you have a nice enough impact gun you don't even need to hold it. :)

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
FYI, some of them ARE on there tighter than you think. Tight enough to warrant using a puller to get it off. I experienced just such a thing on a 91 car I was working on. Had to use a puller to get it off, as it was VERY tight.

Users who are viewing this thread