**Alternator - Removal How-To PICS **

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
Mine died at 47K miles yesterday. I really appreciate this write up since I will be doing this replacement as soon as I can procure a new alternator :)

silvercoffin

Established Member
ok

OK I got the two wires off..just had to be more patient.

YOU REALLY DIDNT TAKE ANYTHING OFF TO GET THE ALTERNATOR OUT? I JUST CANT SEE HOW IT COULD POSSIBLY COME OUT. THE SWAY BAR, RADIATOR HOSE, OIL FILTER AND A HOLE ASSORTMENT OF OTHER HOSES AND PIPES ARE IN THE WAY.

I'm gonna try again tomorrow.

adamjg2

If this is too late to help you sorry, just saw this. It will honestly come out without removing any bars or anything. It comes out RIGHT next to the oil filter, ie barely touching it. The only thing I can think of to make it easier is to remove the lower moter mounts and jack the engine up a little to make more room between it and the fender. If you could, could you measure the length if the bolt that connects to the bottom of the alternator? I have two bolts and they both fit in the two holes i have left. Thanks
Adam

silvercoffin

Established Member
infoq

sorry I never posted this here. THESE DIRECTIONS ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY! THANKS!

I was missing the part about loosenign the bracket that holds the alternator. Once I loosened that it came out pretty easily. Its probably a 30-45 min job now that i know how to do it. It only takes that long because it is a bitch to get to the bolts. TOO MUCH SHIT in our engine bays...NOW I NEED A FREAKIN NEW CLUTCH FFFF:cuss:

svtguy22

Established Member
I took mine out through the top. Only had to take the battery and upper alternator bracket out! It was a tight fit but worked fine!

Good luck!

silvercoffin

Established Member

wow i dont know how you did that.. Its got to be easier through the bottom. I didnt even think it was possible but i guess so if you take otu the bracket. Through the bottom you just loosen it and the weight of the alternator works in your favor. Either way...

Im psyched I was actually able to do it myself. Some mechanics at the race track were talking about how incredible it is that people who know nothing about cars are able to get directions off the internet and do jobs that they would normally be afriad to mess with.

While this is pretty straight forward, if I had not seen these directions I never would have attempted it.

dogmush

Established Member
Back from the Dead!!

My Alt. quit on me today, and I gotta say this write up was great!! The whole thing took me an hour and a half because of this thread. Thanks so much.

I just wanted to add two thingsthat I found today.

1. You have to tap the Alt out with a hammer because of the tight fit to the bracket. (this part's in the write up) When you go to put the alt. back in it's still tight on the bracket, but that little steel bushing mooves. If you take a pair of pliers and squeeze it out of the bracket a little the Alt. will fall in to place. The bushing will get pushed back into place automaticly when you tighten the top bolt. Pic:
Alt1.jpg

Seems obvious in hindsight but it took me like 10 mins. to think of.

And just because a coulple of people asked, Here's the orentation of the alt. that will let it come out:
Alt2.jpg

It's sitting on the sway bar so I could take a pic, but it will clear like this. once it's loose rotate the top twwoards the front of the car till the pully is down, rotate the ears so that they match the pic, and tug, it'll come right out.

Thanks again for the great write-up. SVTP Rules!

BLK_03

Established Member
Glad it helped!

I've had this thing in/out too many times now.

Word to the wise: Stear clear of PA alternators... WAAAAAAAY CLEAR!!!

ACESCOBRA

Bring it on!
Established Member
BLK_03 said:
Glad it helped!

How come? I was going to get one....

camp upshur

Established Member
BLK 03,

Thank you for your informative posting. What happened with regards to the PA alternator? Unsatisfactory I guess??

Have any other members experiences/ recommendations on replacement alternators?

Thanks Guys
Camp Upshur

AzSonicSnake

Slowpiece
Established Member
wanted to thank to writer of this how too. made it much easier to get my alternator done up. it was not too difficult after getting that lower alt braket un done. but after that, it was smooth sailing. its really not too difficult of a job.

and dogmush's tip on the bushing, awesome idea. though i could not get mine to move forward by pinching it closed, but i was able to use a screw driver and kinda tap it forward. that really made this install very simple.

Last edited:

nightstalker865

Established Member
man I wish I had acome across this a few weeks ago when I was changing mine out. It took me two hours!! I just pulled way to much stuff off to get it out. Very good write up.

thelpb

Established Member
BLK_03 said:
Glad it helped!

+1 I've smoked 2 of theirs now. Stock lower and a 3.7 INCH alt pulley. I'm running a V6 alt right now actually and it's holding up a lot better than the PA alts did.

DUMBASS

Banned
is there a way to get just the pulley off without taking the alt off, the nut just free wheels with the socket on it. i put the end of a screw driver in there to sotp the rotation but it just won't pop loose, any ideas?

thelpb

Established Member
Blown10th said:
is there a way to get just the pulley off without taking the alt off, the nut just free wheels with the socket on it. i put the end of a screw driver in there to sotp the rotation but it just won't pop loose, any ideas?

Noooo don't do that, you can bend the fins on the fans or damage the windings. Best thing to do is take the alternator out of the car, take it and your new pulley down to the closest shop equipped with air tools (Discount, Advanced, most tire shops, etc etc). They will swap the pullies for you for no charge.

MountainDew

Do the Dew!
Established Member
Thanks to this thread, my alternator came out pretty easy. Thanks!

Now I just have to go buy a new one and put it in.

musclefan21

Established Member
Thanks for geat pics and write up. I had no knowledge at all and grew some balls and got in ther the car did mine in 30 mins (removal only) hoever i removed one extra bolt to slide the alternator out easily. This is piece of cake WITH THESE PICS!!!

Last edited:

whiplash306

Established Member
Guys, this write up was GREAT!!!! Thanks to everyone who contributed. My ONLY complaint is, what happened to the good 'ole days when alternator removal took like 10 mins...? Haha. I did just as Musclefan mentioned in that I removed the bottom bolt to that fricken' bracket on the bottom of the car, which allowed that bracket to swing out of the way and clear a much larger hole for the alternator to slide out. Thanks again guys!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread