Altitude vs. Boost?

Konaboss302

Funtime!!!
Established Member
Hey all,
I'm from Billings MT originally, and the Marine Corps has decided to make me a recruiter (in all their infinite wisdom). However, the good thing for me is that they're sending me to Bozeman, MT for my 3 years on recruiting duty. For those of you up around Billings/Bozeman/Great Falls or really anywhere... can you give me any idea on how the altitude has effected the boost levels your 03/04's show? At sea level now with just a 2.65 upper I'm seeing about 15psi, but if I'm going to lose 2-3 pounds due to altitude I guess I'll start shopping for a lower... and or just hit the Whipple train. Let me know!

vortechlx

Join My 8 Week Program
Established Member
Hi, I'm over in Billings and have a 03 Cobra. It has a 3.0 upper on my 2.3 Gen 2 Whipple and it makes 15psi. It should be 17 to 18psi, but I've never seen over 15 pounds. How much loss for you is hard to say, but thats what I'm making.

Welcome back to Montana!

vortechlx

Join My 8 Week Program
Established Member
your lucky id kill to have 3100 ft elv. 5500 ft ftl

Yes the high altitude cars even boosted ones get the shaft especially where your at & in Denver. Guys come out here from Seattle and claim to run 5-7 tenths slower depending on the air.

Konaboss302

Funtime!!!
Established Member
That happens... where did you get your Whipple car tuned? Or did you tune it yourself? I didn't think there was anyone in MT that worked on these really, so I was going to invest in the SCT Pro Racer kit and start doing it myself...

vortechlx

Join My 8 Week Program
Established Member
It has an Amazon custom tune that Rick sent me. I have a friend here in billings who is a SCT tuner. He's gone to SCT for training and does dyno tunes. I run a Predator right now, but plan to convert over to SCT when I upgrade to a 3.4 Whipple.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Cool to see you coming back to MT. I live in Bozeman as does my girlfriend (fiveohhhstang on here). When are you coming here? Maybe we'll see you around.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Yeah but it's a percentage thing. It's hard to feel a 25% power loss when your DD only has 18 horsepower. :p

Konaboss302

Funtime!!!
Established Member
I'll be on the road early next week, probably arriving in Bozeman on Sept 2nd or 3rd. I'm glad to be heading back out there, who tunes in Billings?

vortechlx

Join My 8 Week Program
Established Member
My buddy Brett owns K&K Performance does SCT tunes and can get you on a dyno too. PM me if you want his contact info.

Konaboss302

Funtime!!!
Established Member
Made it out here alright, we're looking for a place in Bozeman right now... If any of you happen to see a Redfire vert with chrome wheels, stop me and say hi, I'm pretty sure I'm the only Redfire vert in the area, haha....

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
I moved from Eastern Canada to the mountains in the West and I lost ~ 2 lbs of boost. With the Whipple I am now at 13.2 psi. Yep, the altitude sucks and the power loss was enough for me to notice it.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
You probably are the only RF. I've only seen 2 other Terminators here, a slammed Black vert and a SY (I think).

jeffs

Established Member
I'm on a ported Eaton with the following suff, and I see 12psi, maybe 13 on a good day.

Accufab tb, Mac cai.
4# lower / 2.93 upper
longtube headers and full exhaust

It seams the rest of the world with similar mods to me, regularly see 15-17psi, I haven't been on a dyno at this altitude but I'm sure a blown car that's 3lbs short on boost is short on power as well, I don't know if spinning the factory Eaton any faster would be a good idea in my case as it's already spinning damn fast, so a blower upgrade might be a better way to get back the lost power / boost.

vortechlx

Join My 8 Week Program
Established Member
I've dyno'd here in Montana 2.3 Gen II Whipple with 3.0 upper and full supporting mods and I made 532/538 I'd love to take a trip to sea level

Konaboss302

Funtime!!!
Established Member
You'd be flirting with 600 rear wheel, I saw it on plenty of these cars out in Maryland. I think I'm either going to pulley my eaton back up to 15-16psi (Which will be spinning hard out here) or just do a 2.9 Whipple when some solid numbers come out. Did you get yours tuned down there in Billings?

Users who are viewing this thread