Alum Differential Bushings

04blksnake

Established Member
I am considering the alum diff. bushings from Kenny Brown to go along with the MM polyurethane IRS bushing I am fixing to install. Anybody have these? Recommend them? Or any other brand. Need some help here guys.. I only want to do this job once! Gotta cure some of this wheel hop!

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I have them on my car and highly recommend the aluminum over the poly now. The only problem is the KB are not correctly designed to maintain the correct pinion angle. I really was not surprised to find this out. :kaboom: I had no increase in NVH or driveline noise.

Take a look at this thread on what they look like and the problem I had with them.
KB Aluminum Differential Pinion Bushing .

There is also another guy making aluminum differential bushings now you can reach him at [email protected]. His bushings are the same price and he says they don't have the pinion angle problem like the KBs. I have not seen or used them, but I did buy my Delrin rear LCA, UCA, and rear differential bushings from him and they are nice pieces.

THE FLASH

"Mr. Sulu, Warp factor 3"
Established Member
I put them on my car this weekend. I guess I got the driveline noise. I only hear it when I let off the gas. Does anybody know if I put more washers in would that get rid of the driveline noise?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by THE FLASH
I put them on my car this weekend. I guess I got the driveline noise. I only hear it when I let off the gas. Does anybody know if I put more washers in would that get rid of the driveline noise?

If you installed it as it came form KB that is very bad. There is no way that it is preventing the differential from moving you need to add washers. If you drive the car like that you will very likely break you differential cover. Not to mention problems with Hop and driveline noise. Also torque the differential bolts to 50 ft Ibs first then tighten the LCA nuts to 184 ft Ibs..

KB Aluminum Differential Pinion Bushing

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
thought here....could it be the alum bushing is smaller in ht because the orig compresses when
tightened and the Alum does'nt. IE.. they maybedesigned it to be equal to the stock bushing as installed, not sitting there on a bench? I have not taken mine apart to know...but just thought I would throw an idea out there.

:shrug:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by geepaw
thought here....could it be the alum bushing is smaller in ht because the orig compresses when
tightened and the Alum does'nt. IE.. they maybedesigned it to be equal to the stock bushing as installed, not sitting there on a bench? I have not taken mine apart to know...but just thought I would throw an idea out there.

:shrug:

I would take that there is at least some degree of compression, but the KB is very loose in there without the additional washers. The additional washers make it fit perfectly.

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
04blksnake---The Flash, Your pinion angle is off. That is what is causing the noise. Common problem on the Harley/Lightning trucks when lowered. The trucks are easy to fix with a pinion shim. Can't do the same with an IRS. The best thing you can do is measure the pinion angle before installing the new bushings. You can buy a cheap angle finder from Home Depot or Lowes for less than 10.00 . Then just use washers to adjust....

THE FLASH

Established Member
toofast4u, I followed the link, thanks. I noticed that the KB bushings were shorter than the stock ones. I called KB and they told me how to install them. I guess they are wrong. I need 3 more large washers to go on the top portion where the washers are staked? Do I need small washers to stack inbetween the large washers? I ended up installing the bushings just like they were shipped (that is what KB told me). Do I need to take the large washer and small washer that I have on the bottom and add it to the top? Thanks for the help.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I installed it the same as it came from KB, but added two large washers above the pinion and one below. I didn't add any other washers. You should be the large washers with a hole just big enough for the bolt otherwise the sleeve will be loose. Torque the differential up first and then the LCA bushings to make sure it is tight.

THE FLASH

Established Member
So if I add the 2 stock washers that came on the stock dif bushings above the diff, that should work? Thanks again for the help.

THE FLASH

Established Member
toofast4u, Basically I have the supplied large washer with the small washer on the bottom of the diff, and the 3 large stacked with the small washers on the top. From what you said most recently, I need to put 2 large washers on the top and 1 large washer on the bottom. Or since I am utilizing a large washer already (supplied with the kit) on the bottom, I just need 2 on the top? Sorry for the zillion questions.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by THE FLASH
toofast4u, Basically I have the supplied large washer with the small washer on the bottom of the diff, and the 3 large stacked with the small washers on the top. From what you said most recently, I need to put 2 large washers on the top and 1 large washer on the bottom. Or since I am utilizing a large washer already (supplied with the kit) on the bottom, I just need 2 on the top? Sorry for the zillion questions.

I just reviewed the pictures I took and looked under my car. I was incorrect earlier. You need to put 3 new large washers above the KB unit as shipped. The KB as shipped should have 3 large and 2 small washers above the pinion and 1 large and 1 small below the pinion. It should look like this.
The above the pinion arrangement should look like this upsidedown.
attachment.php

Installed will look like this.
attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread