ALuminum VS Iron debate..again

SVTNICK

Established Member
Im sitting here at work in my office reading my new issue of MMFF. Ive come across the article about the maurauder and its 4v motor. Has anybody else realized that this machine has the Aluminum block? And that Mercury is going to be making 18000 of these cars. Makes me wonder about the old debate of why Ford went with the Iron block VS the ALuminum in the 03..could it be true then that Ford was indeed telling the truth when they said that they blew up too many of the aluminum blocks in their SC tests...the Merc getting the Aluminum block seems to blow that whole idea of the ALuminum block being more expensive out of the water and hence why they went with Iron.

Any comments or thoughts on this?

-Nick

Last edited:

ZXnVS

Established Member
It seems very logical to me that Ford went with an iron block for an engine they were designing to generate 400 horsepower. Especially since they knew Mustang enthusiasts would bump that up to 500+ if they could. :coolman:

FINICKY

Established Member
hmmm this is interseting....i rember seing people saying that the alluminum block was good for like 1000 horsepower or some crazy number like that... it thats true i wonder how much the steel block could take...

ZXnVS

Established Member
Well, I believe most exotics and probably most true race cars use aluminum alloys, but I would guess it's probably an expensive proposition to make an aluminum block that will stand up to high-horsepower applications. I know my dad has nothing but contempt for aluminum blocks ever since he made the mistake of buying an '83 Cad with the 4100 engine. As it turns out, that one was infamous, but there's no question that aluminum is more delicate than iron, and if your name isn't Ferrari you have to compromise sometimes...

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
The aluminum block is fine for excessive HP for short bursts, like 1/4 miles...but, Ford durability tests run the production motor at peak output for something ridiculous like 100,000 miles STRAIGHT, no break and the aluminum block would not stand for that...

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Ford's engines have a 150,000 mile durability requirement. From what I've read, the aluminum was indeed too weak. I'm sure they could MAKE it stronger, but it was probably ALOT cheaper just to use iron.. The word is the new Mustangs will be aluminum blocks, as well as every other Ford car made. 3 valves (at least) per cylinder is also going to be standard issue.

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
the iron block has been nothing but fun times for me :coolman:

who has heard of anyone blowin up their motors yet? We have the vibe, the pull, and the tick.. who wants the motor to explode? not me.. I'll stick with the iron.

SVTNICK

Established Member
I agree with everybodies point, BUT, Ford is making 18000 of these blocks for the Maurader, hence tells me that it wasnt as expensive as we think to make these things. I was skeptical for a long time as to why Ford went to Iron, but I do now beleive that as most of you said, it was for durability bc they knew we were going to play hard with them, and they found the Iron more durable. Granted, I think most of our ALuminum blocks will never blow, but Ford went to Iron just to cover the bases.

-Nick

ZXnVS

Established Member
The Marauder is a far cry from the Cobra. What is it? A couple hundred horsies? I think an aluminum block can handle that.

SVTNICK

Established Member
Maurauder is 302 HP. Only difference between that motor and mine is the cams and intake....otherwise its the same.

RED '03

Established Member
All right guys I'll give you the low down. Since Ford does not have the cabability to make 356-T6 aluminum for blocks vs the current 319 then iron is your answer for the power numbers we are putting out here. Ford has very tough durability stds. Those stories of aluminum blocks handling 1000 HP is crap. 1000 Hp for 100 passes or less down the qtr. Wait till they are checked for cracks. Ford designs for the person running this motor at WOT peak torque for many hours - imagine running these beasts in Germany on the Autoban. Don't forget the mod motors have thin bulkheads due to the tight bore spacing and bank offset for a tight package. GM has nice thick bulkheads on their V8 al. blocks. Somewhere I have fatigue strength data for all of these materials. Trust me, based on the material choices available and the architecture of the block, iron is the right choice. Although it would have been nice to have 6 bolt mains.

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
the Mauarader is 35k and I dont think it has all the goodies that our cars do.. You want our cars to be 40k and have the risk of blowing up? Fine. I'll say it again. im sticking with my good ole iron block.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTNICK
Maurauder is 302 HP. Only difference between that motor and mine is the cams and intake....otherwise its the same.

What about the forged bottom end?

Users who are viewing this thread