Am I missing something here? Coilover spring rate question

specizripn

Established Member
Okay so I have been searching and have found plenty of threads on this and many other forums, and all the research has just confused me even more. I would like to get the UPR tubular K member with coilover kit. Now their recommendations for different setups are <=200. Many of the threads I found, people said they would prefer 175 for road racing and such, and then the other ones say 350 front and 500 rear are good for street and 500+ front for road racing. Am I missing something here? How can different threads be so off? I made sure that I was looking at front spring rates, because I know IRs and SRA works with springs very differently. Can anyone shine some light? The first time around researching I decided on 175 front and 250 rear, but now today when I'm looking I see people saying 350 front 500 rear. Do I just average them out to get a spring rate :bash: Car is a weekend cruiser with a few track visits per year. I don't want the springs to be too soft (drag racing style) nor too hard (road racing style) but I want get rid of some role and such. Can anyone clarify why people are so far apart on rates, and maybe give me a recommendation? Thanks :rockon:

Last edited:

reldla1996

Established Member
MM has an excellent tech article on coil over spring rates. Basically 150-175 front coil overs provides the same wheel spring rate as the factory 600 springs. Anything higher than 175 will improve handling at the expense of increased ride harshness. Of course the front and rear spring rates should be increased together (or sway bars adjusted) to maintain neutral handling. On the rear springs, the rates are much closer together for coil overs versus factory, I don't remember the percentages but they are within 20-25 percent of each other (I only went with coil overs in the front).

Users who are viewing this thread