Am i the only one that didnt know this??

ChuteboxeL03

Established Member
Ok so i had a CEL come on when i was doing my exhaust because i had no cats just open headers, when i got all my exhaust put back on the light was still there, some ppl told me to go to ford and get them to flash it, but my friend told me to disconnect both positive and negative on the battery and let it sit over night. I went the next day to connect it and the light was gone, supposbly if your light comes on and you have fixed the problem, all you need to do is do this and it clears it. Anyone tryed this???

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
All it does is reset the PCM. You only need to leave it unhooked for about 30 minutes. Most times10 minutes will do. It will clear all of the codes and set code P1000 until the drive cycle has been completed.

That's the only hard part, waiting to see if you actually fixed it. Thats the one thing about OBDII that I do not like.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
ChuteboxeL03 said:
Ok so i had a CEL come on when i was doing my exhaust because i had no cats just open headers, when i got all my exhaust put back on the light was still there, some ppl told me to go to ford and get them to flash it, but my friend told me to disconnect both positive and negative on the battery and let it sit over night. I went the next day to connect it and the light was gone, supposbly if your light comes on and you have fixed the problem, all you need to do is do this and it clears it. Anyone tryed this???

it just clears out the code's if you dont have cats still it will come back

ChuteboxeL03

Established Member
RIDE THE said:
That's the only hard part, waiting to see if you actually fixed it. Thats the one thing about OBDII that I do not like.

You mean cause once it clears it will still take awhile for it to come back on, if there still is a problem?

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
The quick way:

1) Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery.
2) Turn the head lights on
3) Turn off the lights.
4) Reconnect the battery.

Rich

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
The way it used to work was if there was a code and you attempted to make a repair and it did not fix the problem after the codes were retrieved, the CEL would come right back on and you knew that it was not fixed.

OBDII sets P1000 everytime that the computer is accessed and the codes are read or the memory has been reset. P1000 then stays in the computer until the drive cycle has been completed. This could be overnight or four weeks. You could simply clear the code and do nothing to the truck towards a repair and the light will stay off until the drive cycle has been completed. It makes it difficult to properly diag CEL concerns.

Mika

Established Member
They changed to OBDII so that all cars have one uniform diagnostic system. So you can use a generic scan tool for just about every car. I *think* that British cars are different though, for some crazy reason.

Mika

BT2001SVT

I'm an Agent of CHAOS!!
Established Member
RIDE THE said:
The way it used to work was if there was a code and you attempted to make a repair and it did not fix the problem after the codes were retrieved, the CEL would come right back on and you knew that it was not fixed.

OBDII sets P1000 everytime that the computer is accessed and the codes are read or the memory has been reset. P1000 then stays in the computer until the drive cycle has been completed. This could be overnight or four weeks. You could simply clear the code and do nothing to the truck towards a repair and the light will stay off until the drive cycle has been completed. It makes it difficult to properly diag CEL concerns.

I'm nowhere near qualified to comment knowledgably, so please don't quote me; I was told that the computer must recognize the same issue 5 times, then it will store an image of the problem and this is what thows the code and makes the light come on. Is this what the "drive cycle" is? sorry to come of as such an idiot, I'm just ingorant when it comes to automotive computer issues.

SVT99RED

Established Member
ChuteboxeL03 said:

yup I think most know about this...
Edit: I didnt read the whole post other people covered the p1000..

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Using a handheld or scanner to clear the codes is the method I prefer since it won't affect radio presets, tripmeter, etc. How quickly the code comes back if it does at all depends upon what the problem is, sometimes the code will come back on in 10-20 miles, other problems won't set the light for a week or two.

Users who are viewing this thread