Ambient Lighting Schematic Anyone?

Willie

Established Member
Anyone have this? With lighted sill plates, if this was an option. I would certainly appreciate a peek.

Snoopy49

Established Member
2013-14 Mustang Scuff Plate Wiring Diagram.jpg

Willie

Established Member
Thanks Snoopy49!!! Do you also have Page 89-3? I need to see how the console switch is wired, along with how the scuff plates are powered on.

Willie

Established Member
Thanks again. Does the 2013 not have this switch (pictured)? If not, how do you change the color?
DSCF0528.JPG

Snoopy49

Established Member
On the 2013-14 Mustang you can not change the color of the door sill with the ambient light control, you have to manually change the wiring connections in the door sill. You have choice of 3 colors, red, blue and green. You could connect more than one color with other colors and come up with the color your looking for, but to match the color range of the ambient lighting control you would have to be able to independently vary the voltage to each of the three available base colors.

Willie

Established Member
Some history >> I purchased the lighted sills years ago for my 2008. At that time, ambient lighting was very new and there was not a way to connect the sills to it. Three colors were offered on the sills. I was not satisfied with having to choose one, so I installed a rotary knob and connected all three colors. All three colors became selectable by rotating the knob.

I just removed the lighted sills from #1 (selling the car) and plan on installing them in #2 (also a 2008 with ambient lighting). In doing a little online digging, I've seen that these sills can now be connected to the ambient lighting system, which is what I'd like to do.

I've bench tested my sills and came up with something interesting. Connecting combinations of the three wires results in different colors. Connecting all of them results in a white light. I never knew this was possible, but I'm now certain that the ambient lighting system works exactly the same way to produce all the different colors.

But in thinking about this, I've come up with questions. In the 2008, ambient lighting can only be turned on with the console switch and only with the ignition on. 1) Is this true for 2013? 2) Do all the ambient lighting bulbs turn on with the doors open or only the sills?
I was hoping that examining the schematics would help me change the wiring on my ambient lighting so that I can have sills that 1) I can choose the color via the ambient lighting system and 2) Turn on only when the doors are open....

Snoopy49

Established Member
From the 2013 Mustang Owners Manual
Changes to the ambient lighting is done through the steering wheel controls and the display located between the speedo and tach.

AMBIENT LIGHT

Turns the ambient lighting on or off. Ambient lighting provides accent
lighting in various locations, such as footwell areas, cup holders and the
center console bin. The parking lamps or headlamps must be on to use ambient lighting.

Press and hold RESET to turn the feature on or off.

AMBIENT DIM
Use this to adjust the brightness of the ambient lighting.
Press RESET to choose the various settings.
GAUGE COLOR, AMBIENT COLOR, HALO COLOR GAUGE COLOR:
The instrument cluster gauges are backlit with white
backlighting when the headlamps are off. When the headlamps are on, you
can select one of the preset colors for the nighttime gauge backlighting.
Note: A gauge in a warning condition will be lit red when the headlamps

are on.

AMBIENT COLOR: You can select one of the preset colors for ambient
lighting.

HALO COLOR: You can select one of the preset colors for halo lighting.
Note: Headlamps or parking lamps must be on to set up colors.
To choose colors for the gauges, halo color or ambient lighting do the
following:
1. Press SETUP to reach the GAUGE COLOR, AMBIENT COLOR, or
HALO COLOR menu.
2. Press RESET to scroll through the following color options:
• ICE BLUE
• BLUE
• WHITE
• ORANGE
• GREEN
• RED
• PURPLE