American Thunder catback?

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Anyone have it? About to install mine and wondering if there are any install issues to be aware of. Any other feedback would be great too.
Thanks.

Moonlight96GT

Established Member
Yes...we have that catback, but it's the one from the 99-01 Cobras so it did have some issues with the passenger side pipe resting against the diff. balancer, just takes some adjusting. Otherwise it fits and sounds awesome.

Orange Poison

Established Member
I have it. I had a muffler shop do mine. No issues. Sounds good from inside the cabin. No drone.

BTW: My muffler shop welded the muffler part with the tailpipes to give a nice clean look. Didn't have to use them damn clamps they give you.

Caveman, you plan on running a mid pipe?

Last edited:

CobraTone

Established Member
I have it, had the same problem with the balancer in the back, just adjust it some. The sound IMO can't be beat, even if it doesn't make as much power as some of the other systems. The other thing I have noticed is that it hangs down lower than stock, so I have scraped the pipes a couple of times from bottoming out. Other than that the system rules.

03'Darin

Established Member
FM now makes an 03' specific cat back. The 03' system clears the diff weight and has Flowmaster stamped across the chrome tip.

I have the 01' system on my car. It sounds awesome.......very slight drone at about 1800 rpm's but nothing to worry about. I filed my diff weight down so it wouldn't hit the exhaust but have read where several people have just removed the weight and didn't have any issues.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue Poison

Caveman, you plan on running a mid pipe?

Keeping the stock H due to smog issues. After the sound and some free (well, $300) HP.

I was wondering what the hell that weight does. No obvious purpose, but Ford must have put it there for a reason. :shrug:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Blue03Cobra has it and likes it a lot...I'm sure he'll chime in on this thread when he sees it

03'Darin

Established Member
I think the weight is a noise/vibration dampner for something in the driveline. I don't remember seeing anyone post having a problem after they removed it. I left mine on because I figure Ford put it there for a reason......so it should probably stay there.

All I did to uuuuh......customize mine.....was take it off and introduce it to the bench grinder for a couple of minutes.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by JB
Blue03Cobra has it and likes it a lot...I'm sure he'll chime in on this thread when he sees it
:thumbsup:

I paid $309 from Brothers and it came labeled as the FM#17248, 1999 Cobra American Thunder catback and it has 3-1/2" chromed tips with Flowmaster embossed on them (smaller section of pipe measured 2-3/4" as it's advertised as a 2-1/2" system).
Flowmaster_web.JPG

No fitment issues (although the passenger side is closer to the damper than driver's, it's a good half inch from rubbing):
exhaust_damper_web.JPG

I did use NAPA band clamps ($9/ea.) for the tailpipe sections (rather than the crappy U-clamps that came with)...
clamp_web.JPG

All hangars lined up fine and the tips are absolutely centered. Did it myself in an hour-and-a-half on ramps in my garage. Could have been done in 45 minutes with an extra set of hands.

Maybe a little lower in torque than the straight-thru design, but my sig numbers are with a 9" open filter, Flowmaster catback and 5,600 miles on the motor...:-D

Best of all, it has that great deep musclecar note, with only a hint of drone at 2,000 RPM.

Enjoy it. :beer:

03'Darin

Established Member
Nice pics Blue03Cobra!! That is the "Flowmaster" stamping I was talking about. Yours was labled 99' and up so I would tend to believe they just updated the old system...... a little tweek of the right pipe to clear the diff weight...... and now it fits 99' and up.

I have two customers that have installed that system and there is no diff weight clearance problem.

BTW that's a d@mn good price for that system. I thought I did well at $329 shipped when I bought the 99'-01' system.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Thanks for the great pics guys.
Jimbo - got the same one from Brothers, same price. I'm hesitant to mess with the weight, in case I ever develop the vibe, and they could use that as an excuse to deny warranty coverage. Also thought about heating up and dimpling the pipe a bit if necessary. I like the clamps.
Was going to do it on ramps, but if I wait till the weekend, I can borrow a lift in a friends shop. Beats the hell out of crawling around under there.

Maybe a little lower in torque than the straight-thru design, but my sig numbers are with a 9" open filter, Flowmaster catback and 5,600 miles on the motor...

I'd have thought the chambered design had more back pressure than the straight through, and would help the torque. Still good #'s.

Last edited:

gasgzlr

Established Member
I have the system. It is too quiet IMO I installed a x pipe and it sounded absolutly terrible popping and rattling... I am doing Spintechs soon I have heard them on a friends car and it sounds so deap and strong with the H pipe.....

Moonlight96GT

Established Member
Originally posted by gasgzlr
I have the system. It is too quiet IMO I installed a x pipe and it sounded absolutly terrible popping and rattling... I am doing Spintechs soon I have heard them on a friends car and it sounds so deap and strong with the H pipe.....

I think it made a huge difference over stock as far as sound.

Right Click, Save As.

kushir0

Established Member
I just installed my Spin Tech catback last week. I ordered an 03 version but I think its the same the the 99-01 -- my passenger side pipe does rattle against the diff weight occasionally. Any idea what could possibly happen if this was removed?

The tips are ok -- only 3 inch and not perfectly centered. I might someday have some nice 3.5 or 4 inch tips welded in.

Other than that the sound is really cool with the x-pipe. A little drone around 2000 rpm but not too bad.

I've not heard the Spin Tech with an h-pipe though...

Users who are viewing this thread