Amsoil 10W-40 UOA w/ 4,124 miles

6-Speed

Established Member
WHERE IS 6 SPEED?
I figured he would of chimed in by now.
Currently vacationing overseas; now in Shanghai where WiFi is hit or miss. My IPod Touch is not the best tool for communicating. Will comment later when I get a chance to read up on Beast's latest report.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Currently vacationing overseas; now in Shanghai where WiFi is hit or miss. My IPod Touch is not the best tool for communicating. Will comment later when I get a chance to read up on Beast's latest report.

You enjoy yourself sir, and it's good to know you are still alive and kicking! :beer:

Blackmax

Established Member
I am on my 6th season with my 4.3 Vortech powered fishing boat. I pound the crap out of this motor running at 3600-4200 rpm for hours. The oil is a full synthetic Volvo 30w. The engine is so clean and the oil remains the same color when I change it at the end of the season. I have had no luck finding out who makes this oil.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I am on my 6th season with my 4.3 Vortech powered fishing boat. I pound the crap out of this motor running at 3600-4200 rpm for hours. The oil is a full synthetic Volvo 30w. The engine is so clean and the oil remains the same color when I change it at the end of the season. I have had no luck finding out who makes this oil.

Are you looking for a lubricant to replace what you are currently using? Possibly better than the Volvo 30W you use now?

Is it a straight 30W or multi-viscosity?

This is a VERY interesting read on marine lubricants. "Wing Nut" is the guru on it.

Marine Lubricants

Although, I disagree with him about Mobil 1 being a PAO. Most Mobil formulations are actually a group III hydrocracked base stock "highly refined petroleum". The hydrocracking process removes most of the mis-shaped molecules he is discussing though. Amsoil top tier synthetics use group IV PAO base stocks.

Amsoil has a PAO base stock lubricant that requires no compromise for your marine use. It's also recommended to use in replacement of Volvo Penta oil.

Amsoil WCT

Inboard and I/O: Mercruiser®, Volvo Penta®, OMC®, Chrysler® Marine, Crusader®, Marine Power®, Chevrolet®, Ford®

Last edited:

Blackmax

Established Member
That is pretty funny, I had no idea Amsoil made the Volvo oil. Yes its a straight 30 W and as I said earlier the oil remains clean and the exact same color at the end of the season. Next oil change my Shelby gets Amsoil.

6-Speed

Established Member
Finally back home. The 4000+ mile report looks good for the Amsoil 10W40. TBN looks good at 7.59 and the viscosity is virtually unchanged from the spec virgin viscosity of 14.6 cSt; the oil still has some good life left in it. Good to see that oxidation did not go up by much and that viscosity did not increase.

The only thing I would advise is to have an analysis done on a virgin sample just to have a baseline to compare the UOAs to.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Finally back home. The 4000+ mile report looks good for the Amsoil 10W40. TBN looks good at 7.59 and the viscosity is virtually unchanged from the spec virgin viscosity of 14.6 cSt; the oil still has some good life left in it. Good to see that oxidation did not go up by much and that viscosity did not increase.

The only thing I would advise is to have an analysis done on a virgin sample just to have a baseline to compare the UOAs to.

Glad you made it home safe, and I hope your vacation was relaxing and enjoyable.

I agree about the VOA, that's coming soon.

Users who are viewing this thread