Amsoil Air Filter Option

galaxy

Established Member
So I know there's some Amsoil fans around here! I don't know if you guys know, but Amsoil used to make dry air filters, and they were phenomenal. Well, they still make the blue, conical, universal fit air filters with the same materials. I had an idea and started doing some comparison shopping yesterday and it turns out Amsoil EaAU6080 is all but a direct swap for the stock filter or the Airaid (i.e. Ford Racing) filter. The Amsoil filter is 1" shorter and the flange is .4" larger in diameter. But over a 5.5" opening like that, I think that flange will clamp down flat and seal just fine.

I ordered one and it'll be here today. I'll install and let you guys know if interested, cause I know someone will be.

And at dealer/preferred customer pricing, the Amsoil filter was $51; vs what? $70+ for the Airaid?

ANGREY

Established Member
I think most people run oiled filters because of the long term cost of replacing dry filters.

I've only owned an airraid for a Tundra I used to have and it works great. I don't imagine you could ever put enough dirt and FOD in the filter to reduce flow (feasibly and not intentionally) so I never swapped it out in the entire 70k miles I had the truck, I'm just wondering what the real long term costs of dry vs. oil is (or practically speaking).

galaxy

Established Member
I wonder if most car guys like us even wonder about long term cost? LOL. I don't. This will always be a debate just like a good "best oil" thread, but there's the argument over filtering capability on wet vs dry. I subscribe to the thought that oiled filters sacrifice filtering capability for airflow. With synthetic, dry media these days like Amsoil and Airaid, you can have your cake and eat it too. Back in the day, filter oils could also wreak havoc on MAF sensors.

galaxy

Established Member
IMG_0032.JPG
OK, the Amsoil filter arrived today and it’s a perfect match. Total length was listed as 1” shorter than the Airaid, but the pic reveals almost a perfect match to OEM. The OD of the flange was also almost a perfect match but the ID was 5 5/8” on the stock and 5 7/8” on the Amsoil. When you slide it into place, it first seemed a bit big, but it’s not. It clamps right down with zero bunching or other issues. Perfect replacement. And perfect option to the Airaid. Funny point...the Airaid/Ford Performance Filter isn’t anything special anyways; it’s one of their generic, universal conical filters also. Just happens to be a match size to the stock filter so they promote it as such. Enjoy the option!

Users who are viewing this thread