Amsoil Type Recommendation

El Jeffe

Established Member
Just got back from one of the big car shows at Carlisle PA and while there had a chance to talk to some Amsoil guys at there booth there about what type/grade of their oils their experts recommend for the newer Boss 302 engines. Was kind of surprised to hear them say the new Full SAPS European Car Formula was their first recommendation (Black Label) and the same type in Mid SAPS (Red Label) as their secondary choice!
Im not a petrochemical engineer so IM not so sure what all the importance is of this SAPS talk, but just seemed odd the Boss would get the European blend rec vs all their other fine oils. Weight recommended by the way was 5W40.
Friend of mine with a Boss used Castrol 0-50 Syntec and he said its working good. Getting ready for my first oil change at 1000 miles for my Grabber Blue '13 and was interested in comments from some of our "in the know guys" here on this forum. Appreciate any comments on the Amsoil rec and anyone else using the Castol 0-50W.

El Jeffe

Ochoblanco

Established Member
I just used the specified Motorcraft 5-50. Greg, Amsoil rep on another forum, suggested I look into 10-40 Sig series.

86Fbody

Established Member
If anything I would ask the guys who race their Bosses, maybe Kenny Brown, and see what they use.

Blackmagic1

Established Member
See "Unleashed Beast " oil write-ups ,especially Amsoil. He's printed TONS of posts of oil recommendations.I'm using Amsoils 10w30 Signature oil in my 2013 Track Pack GT. Not one complaint on anything,especially with our 110 115+ temps out here.

Tyler72

Established Member
Signature Series 10w-30 here with an Amsoil filter too.

I based my choice off of research... Look at the UOA thread on here & look at Bob's The Oil Guy & see what people are saying. UOA are great at picking out an oil, and from what I determined, the SS 10w-30 seemed like the best for my application. If I open tracked it on a regular basis I would use SS 10w-40.

I considered the euro series oil for my car, but couldn't find much info on it to base a valid opinion on.

El Jeffe

Established Member
Gotta....I think mostly that it hasnt blown up yet! haha
Seriously he hasnt noticed any deviations from the water temps, head cyl temps or performance from the originally installed Motorcraft 0-50W from what he mentioned.
Nothing scientific though.....guess he feels Castrol is a decent brand.....and one of the few he could find that actually make the 0-50W in a syn off the shelf.
What are your concerns with that brand?

El Jeffe

Established Member
I have seen some of the Oil Guys posts on oil recs and he seems very knowledgible.
This sites search engine seems confusing to use and I always have trouble trying to find and re read those old posts of his....maybe IM just using it wrong??

El Jeffe

Established Member
Tyler in the new Amsoil catalogue the guy gave me I didnt see a 5 or 10W40 Signature series version offered....just 5W30 I guess you are using.....

El Jeffe

Established Member
Didnt see Dominator in the Amsoil catalogue except under 2 cycle motorcycle oils....still kind of surprised that Amsoil recommends the Euro High SAP formula for the Boss....the guy checked their corporate computer he had there so it wasn't just his opinion....it was Amsoil's official Tech recommendation.....

justthebest

Driving like it's my job
Established Member
Just in case anyone needed another option...

I've used Mobil 1 in all my vehicles, and it's been a champ on and off tracks in high / freezing temps.

So there you go. :read:

DA BOSS 13

Established Member
Motorcraft 5W-50 has been found to shear down to a 30wt oil in less than 2500 miles. Whereas the Amsoil 10w-40 will stay a 40wt till it's change interval.

Last edited:

DallasBoss

Established Member
I use Amsoil Sig series 10w-30 for normal street use, and the 10-40 (#AMO) for a track day. I don't feel that using a 5w-50 is optimal or necessary, especially as it relates to excessive oil pressure

FKing1

Established Member
I use Amsoil Sig series 10w-30 for normal street use, and the 10-40 (#AMO) for a track day. I don't feel that using a 5w-50 is optimal or necessary, especially as it relates to excessive oil pressure

U make statements that need support.
1st shear down, whatever that is, now excessive oil pressure with 5W50. Have never had that in my 13 Boss that I race.
WTF?

Tyler72

Established Member
Bottom line: the Motorcraft oil is junk.

There are multiple reasons why, but the 2 biggest reasons are that the shear level is significantly reduced within a couple thousand miles and the anti wear properties are poor when compared to other synthetic oils.

Here, read all of this:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/787413-official-uoa-thread-oil-poll.html

And all of this:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...5918-official-gt-5-0-boss-302-uoa-thread.html

These threads contain information from independent labs so it filters out the BS you see in commercials & advertisements.

Users who are viewing this thread