Amt of time to pull tranny?

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
So my TOB is starting to make noises. I'm just wondering how long it took some of you to pull the tranny. I've done the search and know that I should replace the clutch, TOB, pilot bearing, and maybe even an Al flywheel. The only problem is that the funding isn't there right now for a clutch & flywheel. If it doesn't take too long, I think I'll just replace the TOB and pilot bearing. Any special tools involved? BTW, my clutch is still holding well -- I guess that's the hidden blessing of a stock motor!

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Are you pulling it in the garage on jackstands? Do you have a transmission jack? If you've never done this before and you're doing this on jackstands I'd be willing to expect a full days work. I don't see any point in replacing the pilot bearing. You'd have to pull the clutch and flywheel to replace it just to put both the stock clutch/fw right back in. If you have a puller for the bearing you can get by with the flywheel still in the car. If you're using a lift, it will go a lot smoother. The first clutch I did in a mustang took 3 hours to pull everything, replace the clutch, and put it back together. Working on the ground makes life a bitch.

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
It will go alot faster if you know what you are doing. Example, the Hanes manual says nothing about the top two tranny bolts. They are at the very top and very hard to get to. You'll need to jack up the front of the motor and use some long extensions to get to them. It also doesn't talk about the top starter bolt, also very hard to get to. I did mine by myself, on my back, with floor jack, one motorcycle jack, and four jack stands. Find a harbor frieght and buy a tranny jack for $100. It is VERY worth it. You'll also need an assortment of extensions from 20" on down. Make sure you have at least 2 swivels too. You'll need both 1/2" drive and 3/8" drive stuff. Check your clutch fork too. Mine was pretty far gone when I did mine. You'll also need plenty of grease to lube everything up. It also make it easier if you have some air tools, at least a ratchet and an impact. If no impact, you'll need a big breaker bar. Get the car up as high as you possibly can.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
by yourself its about a 6 hour job flatbacking it. Hardest part is wrestling the tranny back in.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i suggest getting a trans jack, or have a buddy to help lower/raise the trans...you can do it by yourself if you have the muscle (lifting 100+ pounds at an odd angle) but it's not fun...

i have personally pulled the trans out in less than 2 hours, from the point i stared jacking the car up until i had the trans out from under the car...this was on jackstands w/ non-power tools...i always get help putting it back in, b/c basically it saves a lot of time and frustration...make sure you get the car on FOUR jackstands, as high as you can get it, that will make the job much easier...

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Excellent info!! Thanks. And olgreydog7 -- thanks for the details on where the trouble spots are. I'm not sure how comforting it is, but it stopped chirping for now. I will be doing it on my back w/jack stands. But for now, I can attend to other items on my big "honeydew" list this weekend. Maybe the TOB will last long enough for us to pay off the credit cards and I can save enough for the full treatment. I hate holding a balance from month to month!!

NXSVTCOBRA

start to finish, it takes me about an hour, it's not that hard, you've got some good advice thus far. If you don't have the coin to replace your clutch and pressure plate now it's fine, you could always do it later.

Users who are viewing this thread