An affordable n/a, 400rwhp recipe

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
We (Apocalypse Performance/TW cams) were approached by Engine Labs online magazine to spec a build for a n/a cobra that would see street and road race duties. The goal was to develop and engine that would run on 93 octane, be very affordable, live a long life and be a hell of a lot of fun to drive. We think we met all the goals, the car got 413whp & 366tq out of this little 4V, NA 284ci combo. The setup has unported heads, stainless valves, 10" runner intake manifold, 11:1 compression, and 1 3/4" headers, and custom cams.

The dyno was a dynojet and as you can see SAE factoring was used.

Attachments

• Ivan graph.jpg
    Ivan graph.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Heyyyy.... Where ya been. Don't be such a stranger over here. Not all of us have Bookface.

shurur

Established Member
Nice to see the much maligned WAP block was used!

Great info on the header diameters and what they give and take. This should end all the disputes.

And this was done without oversized exhaust valves!!

I plan to just do the NASVT Recipe and stay in the OEM RPMs...someday.

Moved to a Mach1 lower intake, as my 99 was unrevised and have the set of March UDP/Damper minus the ALT pulley, which I am replacing with a smaller 2" (49mm) pulley to keep the alternator spinning at proper RPM.

I just want to enjoy each little mod a bit at a time..old-school.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Now I am wondering what a 3.7+ Stroker would make with these mods...or a BB Stroker...!!

Would be nice to hear what she sounds like with those custom cams!

Last edited:

Dave.O

Established Member
By stock heads I would assume no port/polish. Did they have a valve job, any change in seat contouring or angle?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
By stock heads I would assume no port/polish. Did they have a valve job, any change in seat contouring or angle?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Nice to see the much maligned WAP block was used!

Great info on the header diameters and what they give and take. This should end all the disputes.

And this was done without oversized exhaust valves!!

I plan to just do the NASVT Recipe and stay in the OEM RPMs...someday.

Moved to a Mach1 lower intake, as my 99 was unrevised and have the set of March UDP/Damper minus the ALT pulley, which I am replacing with a smaller 2" (49mm) pulley to keep the alternator spinning at proper RPM.

I just want to enjoy each little mod a bit at a time..old-school.
WAP blocks are commonly used for high hp n/a builds as well as boosted setups under 1000hp.

There is never a need for oversize exhaust valves.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Now I am wondering what a 3.7+ Stroker would make with these mods...or a BB Stroker...!!

bb/s would be at 500hp while a stroker or big bore will be around 460. Those numbers would be for 7000rpm setups. 550rw with a high RPM big bore is doable.

shurur

Established Member
WAP blocks are commonly used for high hp n/a builds as well as boosted setups under 1000hp.

There is never a need for oversize exhaust valves.
Good to know.
I thought at one time that was recommended, to make exhaust valve 0.9 of the intakes.

01yellercobra

Established Member

FWIW, my big bore stroker made 360-370hp N/A even though it was built for boost. Stock 03 heads, stock 01 intake, Ford GT cams, 9.5:1 compression, and mid length headers. Another 1.5 points of compression really would have woken it up.

shurur

Established Member
I would like to see N/A with just 350 rwhp that can pass Calif. Smog
The standard na svt recipe for OEM will get you that. It is that list I made from na svt quotes across the net and was ok'd by him.
Na svt has cams that you should be able to swap out.

The recipe in this thread is a REBUILD RECIPE with more compression, deeper fly cut flat-top pistons, more duration...a recipe for doing and optimizing an NA BUILD.

Last edited:

52merc

Established Member
I love the idea staying NA. At times I think, "Anyone can bolt on a supercharger kit and make power, but it takes real work to make power NA". Then I remember I live at 3,000 ft and think, "Got to go FI". This article isn't helping me.

Great article Warren, thanks. I don't do FB either.

FIREBALL

Established Member
The standard na svt recipe for OEM will get you that. It is that list I made from na svt quotes across the net and was ok'd by him.
Na svt has cams that you should be able to swap out.

The recipe in this thread is a rebuild recipe with more compression, deeper fly cut flat-top pistons, more duration...a recipe for doing and optimizing an NA build.
Thanks but I guess there is no hope without having to take the engine apart.-- but where is there a link for standard NA recipe and that can pass california smog?

shurur

Established Member
Thanks but I guess there is no hope without having to take the engine apart.-- but where is there a link for standard NA recipe and that can pass california smog?
I don't want to post it in this thread to avoid confusion.
Search nasvt recipe, and look for the latest threads. I have posted it many times. It is just a list of the effective bolt-ons and cams.

Make a new thread in svtp.

You can contact na svt Todd Warren or post up on his FB page as well.!!..then start by posting up there.

Apocalypse Performance

You need to request to join.

Last edited:

Badaz01

Established Member
413 on a dyno jet I wonder where it would land on a mustang dyno? I want to run mine in a dyno jet one day to see. I got to 310rwhp on my na build and that was with every bolt on possible without getting into any heads or engine internals. That number was also on a mustang dyno which they claim reads lower idk. Anyway I wanted to stay na but as far as power goes there’s never enough lol.

shurur

Established Member
413 on a dyno jet I wonder where it would land on a mustang dyno? I want to run mine in a dyno jet one day to see. I got to 310rwhp on my na build and that was with every bolt on possible without getting into any heads or engine internals. That number was also on a mustang dyno which they claim reads lower idk. Anyway I wanted to stay na but as far as power goes there’s never enough lol.
Na svt uses the dynojet for a reason. He considers it the most accurate.

Iirc the mustang dyno is overly generous most of the time.

If you have all the mods for the na svt recipe ( including LT), then 310-320 rwhp is about right with a tune.

Cams will get you 40-50 rwhp. Na svt (Todd Warren) can get you the cams you need for the oem piston cuts.

And/Or you can wait on cams and do a total rebuild like the one in the article.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread