annoying chriping.. not tob

Datswhatshesaid

Established Member
ive got this really annoying chipring coming from the left front of my car that i can not track down. it gets worse turning to the left and stops when u apply presure to the brakes. ive replaced all the brake hardwear, anti rattle clips ect. and the left front wheel baring. u can hear it at all times as long as its rolling. its driving me crazy and sounds like a turd going down the road. anyone have any advice as to where to look next.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
try inspecting the bushings and sway bar links.... inertia from braking and turning put pressure on ball joints, links and control arms... thats why the bushings are there. Good luck with it

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
BTW if you are turning left and the noise gets worse, the right wheel bearing is the bearing loaded with pressure... think about your shoulders as you turn your body to the left, your right shoulder rolls to the front taking all the weight of your forward moving vehicle.. make sense? Just a thought... and most the time its a humming with the bearing... just curious what brand hub assembly did you buy?

Datswhatshesaid

Established Member
well the reason i replaced that bearing is because thats the side the noise was coming from. it was some off brand name but was made by timkin. i wasnt sure it was the wheel bearing because like u said they usally make anywhere from a humming to a grinding/growling noise. i figured it was worth a shot to try. i should have said when ever u gently apply the brakes the noise stops. just taking the free play out of the pedal causes it to stop not actually while slowing down. and it does it all the time but sounds worse when i turn toward the left. when i first got the car it made a similer sound and i found the rear was missing the anti rattle clips. after putting the clips on it stopped. the driver front was missing the clips also but i replaced them and it didnt change. im going to try spraying the sway bar bushings and ball joints with some lithium spray tomorrow and see if anything changes.

Users who are viewing this thread