Annoying 'pop' noise!

PoisonSnake

Banned
Whenever I go in 1st gear usually I hear this "POP" noise coming from behind me or something. It's almost like a single tick sound. Everytime after I put my car into gear and it starts to move I hear like a low-click/pop sound. Does anybody have any information on what this could be?

PFCVO

Oscar Mike
Established Member
Yes I have it too in my 03 vert. There's a TSB out for that "pop" issue. I don't know the number, but it has to do with the bolts in the rear end not being torqued down enough. I got my car in to get that fixed, but the popping came back the next day. Hope this helps.

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
i ahve that same prob. in 03 coupe as a matter of fact its at a dealership getting that fixed along with other things

PoisonSnake

Banned
Mine is a coupe as well...should I take it to the dealership or is this something I can fix myself? What do I say the problem is or since there was a TSB on it what is it called?

This isn't anything severe is it? The only reason why I am gonna get it fixed is because it's just an annoying sound but if I don't get it fixed soon will it actually have an effect on anything? :shrug:

Last edited:

mosconiac

Established Member
My '03 made that noise. It got steady worse until I replaced the front IRS bolts with the correct 14mm bolts. Mine (like many others) came with the incorrect 12mm bolts (which ARE correct for the rear IRS mount). The old bolts were worn pretty badly. After about 30,000 miles its still quiet.

The Ford part number for the 14mm bolt/nut/washer is #N811315S428. Make sure they give you the accompanying nuts/washer.

I got mine from MM (part number M14-109Bolt & M14-Nut) when ordering other parts.

PoisonSnake

Banned
Are those 14mm bolts to replace this on the car?

DCP_5377.jpg

DCP_5378.jpg

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
If Im looking at what your looking at then no that big hunk of metal is for vibration I think some people take it off. The bolts they are refering to are the forward bolts that hold the IRS cradle to the body. Just follow the thick black tube that is in front of the rear wheels. I had two noises coming from the back of my car. One was the pop/tink it was the halfshafts when ever I started to pull away in first gear I would hear it got two new ones from ford no more noise. second was the clunk thats when you go over uneven pavement like into a steep driveway that was the TSB for tourqeing down the bolts. It did work for me no more clunk.

mosconiac

Established Member
PoisonSnake: Next time you are under your car, pull that weight off...it is there for vibration dampening. I took mine off two years ago and can't tell its not there.

I forgot I had this photo...

2003CobraFactoryIRSIllustration--12.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread