Another 03 Cobra Killed by the LS1

jaypee1217

Established Member
My friend wanted me to post this since he wont.

He's got an 03 Cobra:CAI, Bassani Xpipe back, 6# lower pulley, He had it dyno'd and it did 425 HP runnin fat as a pig at 8 A/F :poke:

That being said.

My car. 99 WS6, Cam+Bolt-on's. 391 HP

two runs:

45-50 Punch both times, I'd pull a lil more then a fender by top of 2nd. He's having problems shifting 2-3, top of 3rd i'd be at a full car. At this point there was no catching up. :beer:

That blower sounds sweet for the split second i heard it, after that all i heard was wind in the window. :loser:

That being said, he thought he'd beat me. :lol:

Question for the masses? Is it due to weight difference?

curb weight LS1 around 35-3600.
curb weight 03 Cobra??? 3780??? that about right?

Edit: i didnt see the kill section, if a mod wants to delete/merge the other thread feel free to.

Brad

Banned
You should tell him to get the a/f worked about before beating the hell out of it, 8:1 is really really low.

03 SeRpEnT

The Feeling Hurter
Established Member
yea if he was tuned and could drive decently better than that he would take youby about 1/2 to a full car from digs and about 1-2 cars from 40 rolls, trust me, tried and true.....

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Uhmm, I must be missing something here, or misunderstanding what you've typed. Did you say that his air/fuel ratio is at 8.0:1? Are you joking? Because if that's really the case, then what kind of "kill" story is this? Have I missed something? If I'm not getting this correct, then please correct me. Otherwise, I think you should've waited until he gets his AFR atleast close to being correct before you start claiming a "kill" story. And in that case, then that's obviously the real reason why your "friend" chose not to post this story. I still think that I must be getting something wrong here, because this story just isn't making sense to me. And BTW I LUV those LS1 engines myself (even though the stock Camaro SS cars and the Vettes can never keep up with my heavy tank of a car). :D

Last edited:

RixSikcobra04

First of all, good kill. 2nd, tell your friend to sack up :p and post his kills and/or deaths :beer:. There's no crying in racing :p .

Nicely advise your friend to get a better tune. 8:1 is off the hook rich. He's down alotta hp and tq because of it. Race him again with a 11.5-12.0 A/F it'd be alot closer if nothin' else :beer: .

03 SeRpEnT

The Feeling Hurter
Established Member
BillyGman said:
Uhmm, I must be missing something here, or misunderstanding what you've typed. Did you say that his air/fuel ratio is at 8.0:1? Are you joking? Because if that's really the case, then what kind of "kill" story is this? Have I missed something? If I'm not getting this correct, then please correct me. Otherwise, I think you should've waited until he gets his AFR atleast close to being correct before you start claiming a "kill" story. And in that case, then that's obviously the real reason why your "friend" chose not to post this story. I still think that I must be getting something wrong here, because this story just isn't making sense to me. And BTW I LUV those LS1 engines myself (even though the stock Camaro SS cars and the Vettes can never keep up with my heavy tank of a car). :D

sweet 'rauder' man. my buddy recently sold his, first one with a turbo in the world, made some outrageous numbers but i seem to have forotten them, a litle off topic but sorry.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
03 SeRpEnT said:
sweet 'rauder' man. my buddy recently sold his, first one with a turbo in the world, made some outrageous numbers but i seem to have forotten them, a litle off topic but sorry.
Is his name Ernie?

jaypee1217

Established Member
BillyGman said:

haha, yes its a "kill" story, and i'll definetly post up once he gets it tuned. Regardless, he's putting down over 30 more HP then me as it sits.

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
It's really not a legitimate kill, as his Cobra is obviously not running well. He's running a 6lb lower and all he's seeing is 425 rwhp? That right there is the giveaway.

A properly tuned '03 Cobra with his mods should be somewhere around 470rwhp.

How did he arrive at the AF of 8 figure. Every dyno chart with AF that I've ever seen does not show an AF reading of below 10.0

JSHTROD

Established Member
jaypee1217 said:
My friend wanted me to post this since he wont.

He's got an 03 Cobra:CAI, Bassani Xpipe back, 6# lower pulley, He had it dyno'd and it did 425 HP runnin fat as a pig at 8 A/F :poke:

That being said.

My car. 99 WS6, Cam+Bolt-on's. 391 HP

two runs:

45-50 Punch both times, I'd pull a lil more then a fender by top of 2nd. He's having problems shifting 2-3, top of 3rd i'd be at a full car. At this point there was no catching up. :beer:

That blower sounds sweet for the split second i heard it, after that all i heard was wind in the window. :loser:

That being said, he thought he'd beat me. :lol:

Question for the masses? Is it due to weight difference?

curb weight LS1 around 35-3600.
curb weight 03 Cobra??? 3780??? that about right?

Edit: i didnt see the kill section, if a mod wants to delete/merge the other thread feel free to.

Good kill!

He's down at least 40whp. boy needs a tune...

RealQuick

Established Member
A kill is a kill...he is sucka for racing with it not tuned correctly. Also, how did he measure the A/F? Dynojet WB's only register as low 10.0 A/F........

jaypee1217

Established Member
i'm sure he'll whoop me on motor once he gets it tuned. I dunno about the A/F. Thats the info that was relayed to me.

BiZ

Established Member
Good kill.

Regardless of what needs to be done to the cobra he lost that night. Sounds to me like the LS1 with your mods has much better area under the curve. His 2-3 shift gave you the commanding lead, his fault. The weight difference is a factor but not as much of one from a rolling start. I know it took a Cobra with ~450RWHP to hang with my 400RWHP ZR-1 from a roll.

Brad

Banned
BillyGman said:

whoa calm down.. run what you brung and the cobra didn't bring enough.

Y2KSVT

Established Member
Definitely no excuses in racing. Would it have mattered if he were 12:1 and put down 425whp? His missing 3rd gear was the nail in the coffin in this race, but your power under the curve is more than likely a little higher with your N/A motor, compared to his blower motor. If he gets his tuning issues figured out and you still pull on him, driving school should be in his near future :-D.

Also, I've never seen any dyno graphs go lower than 10:1AFR, but he could be running a wideband?

Mark

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Y2KSVT said:
but your power under the curve is more than likely a little higher with your N/A motor, compared to his blower motor.
Mark
I agree with everything you stated in your post except for this^part above. Yes, that may be true with some centrifugal blower set-ups, but not with roots type nor with twin-screw type blowers since they actually broaden the powerband as well as increase the peak numbers. Now if his bigger displacement LS1 engine also had a blower on it, then yes, it would also have more power under the curve due to the greater displacement. But that isn't the case here. Most power adders actually give a smaller V8 engine the powerband of a larger N/A engine.

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Story would be different if he had a tune.

BUT, he shouldn't have raced him. It's his friends fault for saying he could win and not having his car done right.

those are the 2 points i would like to make.

Users who are viewing this thread