Another available Shelby-pulled my deposit!

Dig-It

New SVT Poster from 2005
Established Member
I was first on the list at one of the local Ford dealers, until yesterday anyway. I asked for my deposit back and got it hassle free. So now there's a better chance for someone else on the list to get their hands on a Shelby (the dealer has more people on the list than cars they're going to get).

I'm passing up on the Shelby because I found one hell of a deal on another car - a 2001 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe with 6910 miles on it and in mint condition for $43K. I just couldn't pass it up. For me, the 911 has been just as much of a childhood dream as owning a Shelby.

jimwood

Established Member
Why get that year and model? Look on Rennlist and other boards, do tons of research. Some refer to that first water cooled engine as the mistake years. Go with oil cooled 95-98, they are as expensive if not more, more of the classic porsche, and IMO the best looking porsche.

Last edited:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Dig-It said:
I'm passing up on the Shelby because I found one hell of a deal on another car - a 2001 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe with 6910 miles on it and in mint condition for $43K. I just couldn't pass it up. For me, the 911 has been just as much of a childhood dream as owning a Shelby.

Don't worry, you could always buy a Dodge Shelby!

Or (if you had a lot of money) get 1 of the 2 stingray vettes with his name and CSX# on them.

Or a Shelby series 1.

Or a real Shelby mustang.

Or a Ford Shelby mustang.

Or a new Shelby mustang.

Plenty of choices! ...did I leave anything out?

Last edited:

Dig-It

New SVT Poster from 2005
Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I guess you could say that I'm more of a automotive enthusiast than a pure Mustang enthusiast. I love a lot things about a lot of different cars. The Mustang and the 911 (and the corvette) have been cars that I've wanted to own since childhood. I'm just chasing down dreams - aren't we all?

mustangsnoopy - when I pay anything for any repair, I'll be upset for the amount I'll have to pay - but I won't regret the move to a 911. I especially won't regret the amount of time in between repairs (Porsche reliability vs Ford).

Now I know that there are extremely well built cars and lemons that roll off the same assembly lines and I don't want to dog Ford. I'm keeping my 2001 Mustang GT (see sig) and I've had nothing go wrong with it so far (knocks on wood), but with manufacturer reliability facts being what they are, I feel pretty comfortable with my decision.

jimwood - you are correct from a purist point of view (that real 911's are oil cooled), but Porsche has dedicated a lot of effort to keeping a water cooled engine 911 in their line up. The engine has been tweaked since '98 ('99 MY) to quite a reliable plant. I have done a bit of homework and am keeping an eye on the rear main seal, which will be under warrany for quite some time.

50 BMG - sorry I didn't specify - GT500 KR

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Dig-it, I, too, am a car nut. I had planned to buy a used 911 Turbo this summer. When Ford revealed the Mustang concept it regained my interest (I have owned 2 previous Mustangs). Then as the details rolled out about the GT500 (nearly 500 HP, under $40k, Shelby, etc.), I changed my plan. I would have to buy at least a 10 year old car and pay much higher maint. and repair costs. Maybe someday, I'll still get my 911 turbo, but, for now it is still American V8 power for me. Congrats on a nice purchase.

jimwood

Established Member
A porsche is a porsche. It's in a different league. I doubt a high repair bill will make you regret your purchase. Not much more to say than its a Porsche. To me the Porsche is not only a kick ass sports car, but also a sign of success in life.

Of course, I may be biased as I am flying down to S.D. to buy a '97 993 tomorrow. Ahhh my first Porsche. However, I am keeping my '03. Can't part with it.

The shit of it is, is the Ford is the weekend driver and the porsche is the daily.
You could say I'm a Ford guy.

Dig-It

New SVT Poster from 2005
Established Member
jimwood said:
A porsche is a porsche. It's in a different league. I doubt a high repair bill will make you regret your purchase. Not much more to say than its a Porsche. To me the Porsche is not only a kick ass sports car, but also a sign of success in life.

Of course, I may be biased as I am flying down to S.D. to buy a '97 993 tomorrow. Ahhh my first Porsche. However, I am keeping my '03. Can't part with it.
arage
The shit of it is, is the Ford is the weekend driver and the porsche is the daily.
You could say I'm a Ford guy.

:beer: Congrats. Here's to Mustangs and 911's.

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Porsce, there is no substitute...
Anyone who thinks there is, should drive one...
Exotic yet affordable..{kind of}
I would have bought a slightly used Viper for the same ammount of coin myself...
But me likey Porches...
L.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
orange2004cobra said:
Porsce, there is no substitute...
Anyone who thinks there is, should drive one...

There is a substitute...A turbo's MSRP is damn near a Ford GT's.

I'm more of a GTS man myself as well...Until the S7 came out it was the best handling production car made in America.

Dig-It

New SVT Poster from 2005
Established Member
03soniccobra01 said:
Nothing like trading in the 18 year old virgin for a 48 year old mother of 7!

GT500 > Old 911 :burn:

I'll take a drop dead gorgeous MILF (7 = you know she loves to do it!) over a fat zit covered adolescent girl any day! (She's still a virgin for a reason!)

I'm not saying the GT500 is "zit covered" - she is a bit heavy - but I did think your analogy was a bit off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread