Another bad TOB...what a surprise

scho1186

Established Member
Okay, had the infamous chirpring noise at idle and goes away immiediately when the clutch is pressed. Searched on here and found it was the throw out bearing. I have a different question that no one asked before, or at least I couldn't find it. The plan is in a couple of years to do motor build, new built tranny, and procharger. The car is just a daily driver right now and I don't want to drop anymore serious money into it because I am getting through college.

If I do nothing to fix the TOB, what is the worst that could happen and would it be okay just letting it go and not worrying about it?

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
yup, ditto, typically if it's just chirping it will survive for a little while, but don't hold your breath. watched a TOB explode on a mustang over here at the track, it left on a tow truck......another had it blow his clutch out completely....doing a burnout in the box......the part is cheap, just change it and be done with it.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
The TOB on my 99 chirped from the day I got it. Owned the car approx 3 years (bought in 2003 (or was it 04? can't remember) and put about 12K miles on it. I would spray WD-40 and grease up there occasionally to quiet it down.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
mine too

Mine chirps too since the day I got it (36,000 miles) I put white lithium grease on mine every spring when I take it out of storage, seems to keep it quiet.

dredg9

Established Member
do what some of the other guys have said. Grease it up if you can and dont worry about it too much unless it gets real bad which i doubt.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
under

There is one bolt that holds on the "inspection cover" right where your clutch cable ends (under your car.) Take that cover off to get access to the area where it's making that horrible noise :nonono:

Slowbra01

Established Member
I have the same problem! Have put on just about 10k since i bought the car. Honestly, i have no idea how the TOB looks like, or even what to buy to replace it. Can anyone post a link to a part or site where to buy from?

joe

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
i just had my whole clutch assembly replaced, including the TOB.... the old one never made any noise but since i was in there i figured it best to replace it anyways...now the new one chirps at idle...will it go away? or is it already shot??

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
Many may or will probably deny or refute what I am about to say, but to be perfectly honest, the TOBs on our cars, as with GTs, etc., are garbage and this is a fairly common problem.

I have had a GT that did the notorious 'chirping' noise and have had such on my current Cobra. On both cars, I have replaced TOBs, along with replacing the clutch, etc., and lo' and behold, the 'chirping', at some point or another, returns, sometimes within weeks of installing the new TOBs.

Again, many may or will dispute this, but one can end up spending a nice little fortune buying and installing new TOBs. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to do the work themselves, thus the "fortune" comes in by way of labor costs.

I have grown accustomed to Ford TOBs and the 'chirping' noise, and when it does occur cause it will, unless it gets drastically worse in noise production, I have simply resolved to let it be. I do what some others in this thread have suggested: I get under the car (ramps or lift) and remove the rectangular plate/inspection cover on the transmission, and with a flashlight, look for the TOB, which is a round "gizmo"--like that fancy word? ;-) --riding on the shaft. Once located, I carefully aim a can of white lithium grease and spray. Another possible trick is that one can opt to use axle grease if you have a grease gun handy. I would stay with the simple straw-equipped spray can of white lithium grease.

As we all know or have experienced, this is a temporary solution and in most cases, the 'chirping' noise made by the TOB will return. Lubrication is important here, being lubrication will and does get thrown off, as typical for the part. Again, unless the TOB noise has dramatically increased, simply opt to reapply the lithium or axle grease or get a new TOB and replace. Another possibility is to adjust your stock quadrant/cable or aftermarket firewall adjuster so as to put more tension on the TOB. More here on the adjustment: http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/clutcha.htm
I would only do this once or twice, for this may also be a temporary fix. I adjust once with the stock, being I have not installed an aftermarket firewall adjuster and cable, then when the 'chirping' does return, I spray--and not a ton either--lithium grease on the TOB. I would suggest doing this every oil change. If the grease (axle of lithium) trick does not work or works for a very short time, then a new TOB is recommended.

Last edited:

Slowbra01

Established Member
Been searching this forum and no one has really posted anything about aftermarket TOB's. Are the ones available to us only OEM? I intend on running the car on nitrous but i want to cover my bases and replace the stock clutch and since i have the chirping noise...replace the TOB. If the noise comes back, then i will lubricate accordingly.

So does anyone have links to an aftermarket TOB or are these nonexistant and are only OEM?

Users who are viewing this thread